• HeckGazer@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    22 days ago

This is such a fucking stupid infographic, it’s just straight up misinformation.

I have done keto, my partner was doing Calorie counting at the time and was curious and did the math for me. I was consuming about 150% of my normal pre-diet Calorie intake and losing 500g per day for a month. CICO is flatout not the mechanic used.

• DoYouNot@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      22 days ago

Not only that, but CICO on its own terms just isn’t at all useful. It’s like saying “the cure to poverty is to make more than you spend.” Like, no shit. It’s just fully handwaving in terms of anything actionable. What are the barriers to exertion? What effect does food type have on feeling satiated? Is there a biochemical mechanism? Psychological? Social?

It’s just an absurd reduction to “personal responsibility” that seems to be the default answer to any widespread, population level problems that the speaker doesn’t really understand.

• Showroom7561@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      22 days ago

Keto causes greater water loss vs calorie counting on a healthy diet, so it’s not surprising you lost more “weight” per day. It’s a terrible way to lose weight, though.

This video explains it (all sources to studies are listed, too).

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        22 days ago

Ahh yes, I lost 15kg of water and didn’t die and also never rehydrated after stopping. Checks out

• Showroom7561@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          22 days ago

Sarcasm aside, the science shows that Keto simply isn’t good for fat weight loss and that most weight lost isn’t fat, especially at the beginning.

Yes, you still do lose some fat, but not as much as an actual healthy diet would with some form of calorie restriction.

In the link I posted, there’s a study showing that Keto actually slows down fat loss because it messes with the body so much.

No reason to go on an extreme diet when there are safe, healthy, and far more effective strategies to consider.

• Showroom7561@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              22 days ago

I looked at of the cited sources that showed “strong evidence”. One had a conflict of interest with the author and the other stated “Our findings suggest that the beneficial changes of LC diets must be weighed against the possible detrimental effects of increased LDL-cholesterol.” 😂

There are safer diets out there for weight loss AND overall health!

• bjorney@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      22 days ago

I was consuming about 150% of my normal pre-diet Calorie intake and losing 500g per day for a month. CICO is flatout not the mechanic used.

You are stating that without knowing your calories out, and asserting that the laws of thermodynamics aren’t real

Keto works due to two things: 1) proteins and fats are more filling than carbs, and 2) your basal metabolic rate increases when you are in ketosis

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        22 days ago

People who say CICO doesn’t work are asserting that, at no point did I assert that. I simply stated that CICO isn’t the mechanism that keto uses.

• bizarroland@fedia.io
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          22 days ago

It is but it isn’t. CICO is not the whole picture, but it is the foundation of the rest of the picture.

No matter what you eat, if you consume and absorb fewer calories than you burn you will lose weight, whether it be through body fat or body muscle.

That is a known truth.

However, there are many other factors at play right now that every single person that just jumps on the calorie in calorie out bandwagon refuse to wrap their heads around.

• bjorney@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          22 days ago

I simply stated that CICO isn’t the mechanism that keto uses.

It literally is though.

When you are in ketosis your CO increases, so even if your CI stays the same you will now be operating at a deficit

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            22 days ago

It is not.

This is such an obnoxious form of pedantry. Yes you absorb less calories from the food you digest and yes you poop out more unused calories and yes the way your body uses fat is less chemically efficient than carbs.

That’s just not what anyone means when they say CO. Technically true in such an “ummm aktshully I’m a teenager that just learned thermo 101 and have to be right about everything” kind of way that’s just not relevant to the discussion being had. Yes, of course if you put everyone doing keto in a chamber where you measured emitted heat and put all their poop through a calorimeter thermodynamics applies.

The point is none of that matters in the context of discussing diets because you can very successfully lose weight on keto while eating more calories than you did before and not changing lifestyle.