When is an ad an advertisement and not a recommendation? Microsoft clearly likes to use the term recommendation for what others may see as an advertisement.

There are recommendations in the Start menu, Settings app, Lock screen, File Explorer, Get Help app, and other areas of the operating system already. These are often not that useful. App recommendations in the Start menu are limited to Microsoft Store apps.

Now, Microsoft is testing recommendations in the Microsoft Store app. If you never use the app, you won’t be exposed to these. If you do, you may notice recommendations popping up when you try to use the built-in search.

First spotted by phantomofearth on X, two or three recommendations are shown whenever search is activated in the official Microsoft Store app.

• Bluefruit@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

As soon as they announced ads were gonna be in the start menu, i noped out of windows. I only use it for work which doesn’t bother me because im not doing anything private on my work pc.

I switched to Fedora 40 with KDE and never looked back. My only real gripe is with making music. Getting the VSTs to work and setting up yabridge is kind of a headache that i still need to do 😮‍💨 aside from that, Linux has been my daily driver for quite a while now and im happy i switched even though im still learning.

• Routhinator@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

I have not dove into yabridge yet. What DAW did you go with?

After poking around I decided to go with Bitwig and skip trying to go with getting Ableton working with Proton or Wine. I’ve actually been enjoying some of their default VSTs as I practice my piano again, but I do miss my paid VSTs a lot.

Have been really looking around at the vsts that have native Linux support though. Was really glad to see of u-he’s VSTs worked natively.

• Bluefruit@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        24 days ago

I’m a huge fan of reaper. Nice clean daw for a good price imo. It being cross platform was a bonus. I started making music on Windows and the best part of switching to Linux was that reaper just works after figuring out how the hell to install it lol. Some Linux stuff im ok at but im still figuring things out.

And same here. I’m a self pianist like my grandfather was. I really like addictive keys for playing piano and was happy to see the standalone version works with bottles. But without yabridge setup, i haven’t been able to make much recently.

Ive been looking to find a replacement for addictive keys thats native to Linux or works well at least.