• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

In general, yes, but in this case I don’t think there’s any way for the service to beat piracy even if the service was just as good (which it isn’t). Take the One Piece manga, for example. A lot of people read it from illegitimate sources simply because they can manage to release it two to three days earlier than the official every week. You can read it for free online in your local language once the magazine reach the shelves in Japan, but even that is too late because the contents gets leaked while all the partners are preparing for that simultaneous release.

• Ilandar@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

A lot of people read it from illegitimate sources simply because they can manage to release it two to three days earlier than the official every week.

This still sounds like a service problem.

• thepiguy@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I won’t be pirating manga if I can actually pay for them. Some apps exist, like mangaplus, but they pale in comparison to something like tachiyomi. And then there is webtoon which shoves an ad in my face even though I purchase content weekly to read. And webnovel is atrocious with how I have to wait 5 seconds for an ad before they show me yet another ad every time I open the app. I just use koreader now for novels. I do buy physical volumes to show some support back. But a Korean series that I am reading does not have a novel published overseas, kind of a bummer.