• Travelers can opt out of facial recognition at US airports by requesting manual ID verification, though resistance or intimidation may occur.
  • Facial recognition poses privacy risks, including potential data breaches, misidentification, and normalization of surveillance.
  • The Algorithmic Justice League’s “Freedom Flyers” campaign aims to raise awareness of these issues and encourage passengers to exercise their right to opt out.
  • ByteOnBikes@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I’m going to assume they can photgraph you the moment you walk into the airport.

I used to be extra during the TSA body scan BS. And honestly, I felt like they won.

• ByteOnBikes@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

They pulled me in a private room when I refused to body scan and my bag was suspicious.

It was an extra 25 minutes. Enough to be inconvenient as they tried to find two available TSA agents willing to body check me then check every single item in my suitcase.

• ThunderWhiskers@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

That’s the fun part about the war for privacy. We have already lost and if you make a big deal about it they’re just going to make your life hell!

• techt@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

It’s not such a binary thing as winning or losing, it’s a constantly shifting process. The only way to actually lose is by giving up – instead, consider it making it as hard as possible for your privacy to be infringed upon. Sometimes it’s more inconvenient, but what makes us such a farmable populace is our reluctance to be inconvenienced. Be good at being uncomfortable.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Yup, go to the airport early, wear something like reflectacles and a mask, and record everything. Who knows, maybe they’ll violate your rights and you can find a lawyer to sue them to recoup some of that inconvenience.

• henfredemars@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I tried to refuse the face scan and they looked at me like I just grew eye stalks. After a long pause, I said never mind I need to catch this flight, let’s do it.

It’s not a hill I’m willing to die on, even though I’m disappointed with the practice.

• techt@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I refused, it went fine. I had to repeat myself because it was unexpected and dudebro wasn’t prepared, and they had to turn on the other machine and wait for it to start up, but it only delayed me like 2 minutes. The more people ask, the easier it gets.