• 0 Posts
  • 30 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: June 14th, 2023

help-circle

• I see, so the angle you’re going for is that basically hiring practices don’t prioritize the skills needed for backend and think frontend devs can handle full stack. Even then the front-end teams do know that the backend stuff is important even if they don’t have a full understanding of the scope of complexity that goes into the nitty gritty of backend dev.

• I mean, you’re not wrong but I’m not sure what you’re trying to get at. Yeah front end and backend development are very different skillets, but my point is the people working and coding and making the game generally do actually know what they’re doing, but its middle managers are given orders from on high by execs, most of whom probably haven’t touched a video game ever in their lives, keeping the board of directors happy with quarterly profit increases.

I wasn’t talking about the horizontal divide between front end and back end devs, but the vertical divide between management/executives and the devs and techs.

• While more progressive people have recognized the pointlessness of gendering military service and playing football, conservatives haven’t and its something we can use to our advantage. Like the entire calling them weird thing. It’s literally the kind of insult a 5 year old would come up with but they’re absolutely blowing gaskets over it and it’s hilarious.

Know your enemy and you’ll have the advantage.

• There was an episode of TNG where the Enterprise encountered an alien race called the Tamarians, who’s entire language is based around communicating through references to events and shared stories. In the show, the universal translator was correctly translating the words, but not the meaning of the language.

To use something from the show as an example, the phrase “Shaka, when the walls fell” is a phrase saying something is a failure. Or “Picard and Dathon at El-Adrel” describing successful first contact and 2 people working together.

Think of the person you know who is super well versed in movies/TV shows/pop culture and can relate any situation they find themselves in to a scene from said pop culture thing. The Tamaranian language is basically and exclusively that.