I look left and right, and I’m the only one who…

• schizo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 days ago

I use Firefox, but the #1 complaint that’s made me stop evangelizing it to random people is the endless, endless complaints that it’s slow.

And, frankly, it is: Chromium-based browsers perform better a good amount of the time on sites that use too much JS, which is, well, basically everything.

It’s better than it used to be, but boy do people care less about free software than they do fast software.

I will admit I dumped Firefox on my android phone and went back to Chrome because, good grief, it was taking nearly twice as long to open and load pages and yeah, my patience doesn’t stretch THAT far.

• Achyu@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      22 days ago

I dumped Firefox on my android phone and went back to Chrome because, good grief, it was taking nearly twice as long to open and load pages

Really?
      I use both Firefox and Chrome on Android, and both seem similar and ok to me. Firefox appears to be a bit faster, with uBlock, as my network is not always fast.

Which websites do you mainly use?
      I keep chrome mainly for the google websites and services.

• schizo
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

To be fair, I blame the phone more than Firefox for the performance, though at the end of the day, it’s still slower than Chrome.

I went cheap and low spec (OnePlus Nord N30, because it had a headphone jack AND sdcard) for my last phone replacement and, for 99% of the things I do, it’s perfectly fine.

That last 1% is kind of annoying and browsing falls into it.

It’s a case where loading a bookmark from the home screen will crash about 1/3rd of the time with Firefox and will routinely take long enough that I’m sitting there annoyed at how long it’s taking to load. No specific sites are better/worse, but it’s all mostly self-hosted stuff: redlib, Lemmy, PeerTube, Firefish, etc.

It’s a case of it being basically instant for Chrome, and 5+ seconds for Firefox - and more like 20-25 in the case of Firefish to actually load all the content - so I’m assuming Google is doing some background pre-loading or something that’s causing the discrepancy.

• Vincent@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

I use Firefox, but the #1 complaint that’s made me stop evangelizing it to random people is the endless, endless complaints that it’s slow.

Part of the problem is that Chrome is so widespread that it’s seen as the default, and thus anything that deviates from that is quickly blamed for any problems.

I heard someone tell an anecdote recently about why their daughter always ordered Domino’s pizza for her friends. She said that if Domino’s pizza is bad, her friends blame Domino’s, whereas if pizza from elsewhere is bad, they blame her.

• grrgyle@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

I will admit I dumped Firefox on my android phone and went back to Chrome because, good grief, it was taking nearly twice as long …

I’m not doubting you, but I am surprised. My android is 10 years old now. I switched to FF on it recently and haven’t noticed a difference other than the URL bar is on the bottom now 🙃