link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

It makes me feel uncomfortable to see the entire weight of the laptop held by just the bottom of the device. I assume it won’t damage it? But I still personally am not a fan of not having the whole device supported

edit - in summary, this seems like a terrible design

• SzethFriendOfNimi@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Especially when it’s running hot… extended heat and bending forces just makes me nervous.

I love the concept though and doing something like this on the back hinge in a scenario where it’s docked but allowing it to be slight open like a clamshell would be cool.

You could more easily vent the heat, the “back” the laptop is pretty resilient as long as you’re sharing the weight with the bottom and top (not just the hinges)

• FQQD@lemmy.ohaa.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

It’s worrying for sure, but I think the PLA might give up earlier than the chassis. That said - you never know, it might still bend the laptop.

• Dark Arc@social.packetloss.gg
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Even if it doesn’t permanently bend the chassis or break it, the chassis might flex enough that you’d get some damage to the electronics.

• riodoro1@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

It looks like a plastic case too. I would love to see what it does when the enter key is bashed by a 100kg gorilla in a fit of rage.

• Synapse@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Hello,

Many of you are concern this stand could damage the laptop by bending it with the leverage force. It’s true that I didn’t consider this case when I designed it 🤔

While trying it out, I didn’t feel like it would damage the laptop, unless something catastrophic would happened like an heavy object or a pet dropping on it, but it is a legitimate concern ! I might reconsider using it… I was wondering why this type of stand is common for phones but inexistant for laptops, well now I understand !

Thank you all for the constructive feedback !

• Nate Cox@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I think you could keep the basic design but add a pillar to support the back edge at the mid point and substantially reduce the risk.

• Synapse@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Yes, I am thinking about something like that now. I will try to come up with a solution that still allows to be easy to print all in one batch.

• Nate Cox@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Don’t let the feedback here get you down. Some of the comments are overly negative; you’ve got the start of a cool stand going, keep it up.

• Synapse@lemmy.worldOP
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Thanks for being supportive. I didn’t take offense from any of the comments. I can handle a little bit of sarcasm 😅. Comments may be negative, but they are respectful and constructive, all is good.

• breadsmasher@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

I may have come across a bit strong? Apologies if so.

Some actual constructive feedback -

1. Some sort of underside support to hold the weight at the back
              2. Potentially a joining bar between the two feet? It could be laptop size specific or even adjustable.

I haven’t got something to test it with, but when you put the stands on, is it awkward to get them to line up correctly? Could be a non issue though - I am just considering whether each time you want to use it you have to work out exactly where to put them? And an adjustable “bar” between them could keep the same position every time instead

• cashmaggot@piefed.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

A lot of the ones they sell have hinges. So what if you keep the base and then create something that slips in through a circular hole in the back and says by locking on to the side (like it slides in like those magician puzzles that lock at certain angles instead of something that’s just straight and pokes in). Then have it be something that can pivot up and down and rest at the bar right below where you have your laptop held - but can be lifted up to help support its body. But when you lift your laptop they just pop back down because of gravity.

Just an idea kicking around the old brain bin because of how those pre-made ones are made. But tbh - my cardboard one is pretty close to yours >.>!

• roofuskit@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

It would take very little force at the far end of the lever you made out of your laptop too cause damage near the stand.

• cashmaggot@piefed.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Better than mine, that I origamied outta two pieces of cardboard. But also you probably move yours around. If you move yours around a lot - you’ll probably be fine. If it was stationary forever, maybe not. Idk? Either way, don’t get discouraged. Do anything, you’re learning. But you’re also inadvertently teaching others in this situation as well.

• Sop@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I like to hold my laptop at exactly those points where your design holds them and I suspect that that is the reason why my laptop is bent now. I hold it like that whenever I move it so not for long durations but frequently. I’d definitely recommend against doing it for longer durations.

• cordlesslamp@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

After the Avatar unified the 4 nations, everyone was living in harmony.

Until Synape, the Laptop Bender strike!

• thefartographer@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I used to run tech support for a middle school and that’s exactly how the kids used to hold the laptops and the Chromebooks. I’d frequently warn kids not to do it, but sure enough…

One day, you’ll hear a tiny crack, a concerning click, or a new creak and you’ll notice some of your keys don’t work anymore.

And then it’s just downhill from there

• stealth_cookies@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

I don’t like this at all. All the force of typing going into bending the front edge of the laptop. I know from my Framework that holding it by the front corner causes enough deflection that the touchpad no longer can be clicked so even more force causes concerns about damage.

• InFerNo@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Who types like this? This is to prop up the laptop for better viewing/posture. You should get an external keyboard.

• Mpatch@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Everyone worried about the bending force, the retaining slots will tear out and drop the damn thing on the desk well before it bends.

• Synapse@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I not sure it would break first, it’s printed with 6 perimeters, the part is pretty strong !

• Synapse@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

It’s made of PLA, printed with 6 perimeters (2.4mm wall thickness) the front of the design is almost solid plastic (very little infill). It is probably to much and it would be fine with 3 or 4 perimeters. There is one test print I tried to break by using on as a lever against the other, I couldn’t even damage it.

• SynopsisTantilize@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Yea and if you print this yourself and want better failure on force just add supports in-between the structure to kinda snap in half if it presses to hard

• Sphks@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I agree with the other comments. Yet, it’s a beautiful design. What software do you use ?

• deafboy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

So, this is what people meant, when they’ve called for 3D printing regulations!

• iamanurd@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Super cool idea, but I understand some of the criticism here. Great job designing it though!

For inspiration if you take a crack at another design, I travel a ton for work and use this stand since it folds up to almost nothing: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/accessories-and-software/stands-arms-and-mounts/stands/78455167?orgRef=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F&cid=us:sem|se|google|shopping_3po|gs_notebooks||78455167|20927478951|164430743944|pla-1652010017019|shopping|mix&gad_source=1

Maybe you could add a support near the center of the base that either folds out (difficult) or a 2 piece design that fits together.

Good luck!

• NaoPb@eviltoast.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I like the look of it. But I have worries that have already been mentioned here. Looking forward to what you make next.