s2e18 “Up the Long Ladder”

I have changed zero dialogue, Pulaski just liked to get at it. With 3 known marriages, having dated Riker’s father, plus a fascination with Klingon culture, it’s no wonder she took this opportunity.

• Odelay42@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I found her very boring and unrelatable. If crusher never existed I feel like she’d have been the weakest character on the show by far, but crusher did exist and was awesome and that made the comparison so much more definitive.

• ummthatguy@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Gates left the show after S1 for justifiable reasons, then Roddenberry turned to what worked in the past with Bones. Pulaski was the crotchety older physician who hated transporters and, instead of distrusting Vulcans, distrusted Data. She improved as the season went on, but that’s all we got.

• Snot Flickerman@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

distrusted Data.

I mean, Roddenberry wasn’t wrong to try to rehash the character, because older folks who are distrusting of new people and technologies is just so fucking common.

Also, I think that’s one of the things that made me vibe with her, the distrust of an Artificial Intelligence. Considering Data is pretty fucking unique and relatively new, it felt pretty realistic to me.

Too bad we never got to see her character grow. Oh well.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

By “Peak Performance” she’d come around and even gave Data a pep talk about trusting his instincts after losing that game of strategema, but that’s just before the season finale/clip show that is “Shades of Gray.” If she could have stayed on as either chief physician or assistant to Crusher like Ogawa, we might have seen a little more of her personality.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

No argument there. The only thing worse is someone who’d like nothing better than to take him apart for study.

• Snot Flickerman@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

I’m in the minority of people who disliked Beverley Crusher.

Please don’t hit me.

But it’s funny, because it’s total opposite for me. I felt like Pulaski was relatable and Crusher was boring. But I’m a fucking weirdo so whatever.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Out of curiosity, what doctor(s) would you rank up top? Personally, it’s close between The Doctor (EMH) and Phlox.

• acockworkorange@mander.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 month ago

The doctor would be at top to me. His arc is fantastic too. Phlox and Bones were good in different ways.

PS: I always forget Bashir is a doctor. I’ve quit paying paramount so I’m missing some of new trek. Nurse Chapel deserves an honorable mention. Hugh came back from the dead an ass. M’Benga is a really good doctor. I’d say on par with Picardo’s.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

All good points. Bashir isn’t all that great given his ethical problems dating patients. Both iterations of Chapel do well. Hugh’s personality shifts echo the overall writing on DISCO. M’benga is the man, whether in sickbay or the frontline. His parental decisions are a bit suspect (the buffer), but come from a place of love.