link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Kissing the hand of an elder is a traditional sign of respect in Turkey - notes the Duvar portal.

That is fair (although weird). Now lets talk about slapping children in the face and giving them money for kissing you!

• rustyfish@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Here is a picture of Erdogan falling off a horse and then getting kicked in the dick by said horse.

• Tarquinn2049@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Actually if something like that did permanent physical damage, to someone already in that mindset, that could have serious psychological consequences. When was this, has he behaved notably worse since?

• Gsus4@mander.xyzOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

after a little googling, I found the video on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/6gadar/turkish_president_erdogan_falling_off_a_horse/

It was posted 7 years ago and by then it was said that it was 10 years old, so 17 years ago…that would place this ball-busting incident in 2007, he only became presidont in 2014…idk…maybe it’s his origin story (become president to censor the whole internet to hide his 3rd degree ball-trouncing event), like Trump’s correspondents’ dinner or Orban’s being mocked by Juncker or putin’s whole life since 1989.

• Mateoto@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

He was prime minister from 2003 to 2014 before initiating a constitutional referendum, creating a presidential system for him in 2014. Ball slapping happened 4 years into his prime minister government.

• Tarquinn2049@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

At the very least if there was physical trauma, the mental trauma from it going untreated could definitely lead to trying to compensate for how he feels about it by “trying to be more manly” to prove it didn’t affect him…

• mojo_raisin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I think it’s safe to assume his nuts got so damaged he needed a ballectomy – Erdogan has not had balls for over a decade.

• Sibbo@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

There are rumours that Hitler had just one ball and did everything he did just to compensate. If that’s true, what can we expect from Erdogan now?

• rottingleaf@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

… Goering has both but very small, Himmler has something simmler, but poor Goebbels has no bels at all …

• AmidFuror@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

That website had a huge list to scroll down to opt out of cookies. At the very bottom was a highlighted button to toggle everything on and undo all your hard work.

But I’m sure everything else they do is trustworthy.

• MonkderVierte@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

This site convinced me to, yet again, block third-party scripts by default on mobile. That works, btw.

• Jtotheb@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Except then it blocks the cookie that remembers your cookie preferences, and your entire time online is spent closing pop ups. Welcome to the future of convenience!

• foofiepie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I have my client (voyager) set to default to reader mode, so I didn’t even see any cookie options. Does this mean I accepted them all or none or what?!

• BossDj@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Reader mode kinda just leaves the cookie popup in limbo. The website is still waiting for you to answer. Same as not accepting I guess. You can text this by toggling reading mode on/off and the pop-up will appear

*edit: I dunno if it just replaced the cookies now that I think about it…

• thebestaquaman@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

have you tried consent-o-matic? Admittedly, it didn’t work on that site, but it works like a charm on > 90 % of sites I visit.

• Farid@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

That’s not how it works. If the society tells him that he wrong and rightfully punished, kid will likely just accept that reality.

Edit: what the? Why am I downvoted? I suppose you guys haven’t lived in middle-eastern countries.

• Crowfiend@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Or, hear me out, he grows up resentful of all who lord their undeserved power over him, like billions of other children already do?

• ArbitraryValue@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Most children are successfully socialized into the culture they’re raised in. I think the usual though process is “I was hit by adults when I was a child” -> “I hit children now that I’m an adult” rather than rebellion.

“Hitting children for any reason is wrong” is an idea that only recently developed in Western culture. It isn’t universal in space or in time and without it, children still generally didn’t grow up to distrust authority or hate injustice.

(Consider a similar phenomenon in the Soviet Army: the tradition of senior conscripts abusing junior conscripts. All those senior conscripts were recently junior conscripts themselves and yet the tradition continues.)

• Crowfiend@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

That’s a very black-and-white way of looking at it. As children grow older, so too do their elders. Eventually the power balance (so to speak) shifts, and both the child and the elder learn who can hit harder.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              1 month ago

Locking up parents you don’t like in a nursing home is also a recent, Western development. Generally grown children don’t seek revenge against their parents even in societies where physical violence against children is common. On the contrary, these societies usually have strong norms requiring the respect of elders.

(It’s ironic that by historical standards, Western parents treat their children exceptionally well but Western children treat their parents exceptionally poorly.)

• Crowfiend@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

Who said anything about a nursing home? I thought we were talking about throwing punches? Cause as I said, as each party ages, they both learn who hits harder.

Any old person that acts like they can’t catch hands, is literally asking for some to be thrown.

If you’re 20yo still taking abuse from someone three times your age, you’re not fighting hard enough for your own rights.

I hope to any and every god that may exist, that kid gets close enough to Erdogan one day, to return the favor tenfold.

• angrystego@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 month ago

You do understand that physical power is not the only kind of power Erdogan has? The kid is very probably never going to get stronger than him.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 month ago

I don’t know of any society where physical violence against one’s elderly parents is ever considered acceptable. A young adult is stronger than his elderly parents, but that young adult is universally forbidden to physically harm them, and this taboo is very rarely violated. (Edrogan isn’t the boy’s parent but he’s even higher up in the “respected elder” hierarchy.)

• andxz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

The only thing my ultra-conservative father and grandfather managed to do to me was to never ever let them anywhere near their grandchildren.

I also might’ve let my father know how it feels to get thrown through a bookshelf by someone a lot stronger when I got old enough to do so. Suddenly he was a lot less enthusiastic about physical violence. I wonder why. He still managed to fuck up my spine for life when he did the same to me - when I was 12. Took me 6 years and a lot of physio but he’ll never hurt anyone else ever again.

• Farid@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

I would say that physical abuse like that is not comparable to a slap. Much fewer people, even in a conservative culture, would approve of disciplining a child that way. Majority would approve of a slap.

Besides, just because you turned out different doesn’t mean that majority will, too. I’ve been belted my entire childhood, but I personally wouldn’t do it. Doesn’t mean it’s become uncommon in general. Usually, people take after their parents.

• andxz@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Slaps are what my mother gave me. My father wouldn’t bother with something like simple slaps.

There’s never any reason to hurt your own children. Not one. Parents are supposed to protect their children.

• Farid@startrek.website
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

Sure, but that’s not at all what we are discussing here. We are discussing the perception and overall approval of corporal punishment in conservative cultures.

And while methods that can actually inflict permanent damage to children would be perceived negatively even in conservative cultures, slaps would be approved by most.

• angrystego@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

I think some of the downvotes might be from people that want it to not be true. I would also like beaten kids to rebel and break the cycle. That doesn’t necessarily mean people don’t understand your point. Some of them have a different experience (they did rebel), some of them agree with you but want the reality to be different and a downvote is a way to express that, and some of them have motivations I can’t even imagine, I guess :)

• dutchkimble@lemy.lol
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

The cookie selections and the general cookie rejection process of this site is ridiculous

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

It does at least seem to follow the law, even if it does do the old “Toggle it all and go fuck yourself” button at the end.

The early ones had it all on by default. The Tumbler one was a sight to behold as you toggled off all their 1000 trusted data partners.

https://i.imgur.com/YCNvEMa.png

• kakito69@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

In EU it needs to be as easy to reject cookies as it is to accept. Having to scroll to the bottom makes it much more annoying so I don’t think it’s legal. What can we do about it anyways?

• BackwardMonkey@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Funny, the more I learn about right wing political strongmen and dictators the even less I like them, in fact, I strongly feel disliking.

• Gsus4@mander.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

They are the ultimate posers, every single one of them. They can’t take the slightest appearance of criticism, even if it is coming from an old lady or a child but act #sobrave and #galaxybrain because they think that ignoring rules that make our society function makes them all powerful.

• BackwardMonkey@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

It has much to do with deep rooted family culture and sexism, the man is stronk, the man do stuff, the man pays, the man hits. Other men look at political stronk man and say, There, look, a Stronk man!

• Gsus4@mander.xyzOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Yea, it’s Pleasantville all over again. I just thought we were over that, but ultraneoliberals have a way of fucking over people and making them lash out in predictable ways that sometimes they try to harness to impose their agenda. Then we fix it e.g. New Deal, WW2, EU…then we forget why we had those protections…liberalize everything again…and back to strongmen at the gates to save us from ourselves by enslaving us. It’s like every hundred years we need a mass human sacrifice to appease the gods of chaos and relearn how to keep societies balanced.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

…then we forget why we had those protections…

… because of remembering why we had other protections which were torn down to make these protections …

That’s how this works. You go to God, get hit by lightning a few times, learn not to approach that guy, then by not approaching that guy get kinda close to Satan, get boiled in oil for some time by bald imps, run away, and at some point forget that there’s another danger, et cetera ad infinitum.

• teft@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

We just went through a global fucking pandemic. Maybe get rid of the idiotic traditions that contributed to the spread of disease.

• Gsus4@mander.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

that’s the equanimity you expect from a head of state these days :/

• someguy3@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Slap him back.

If you can’t reach his face, then it’s nutz slappers.

• مهما طال الليل@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Erdogan threatens Israel

Posts like this about Erdogan starts showing up

In fear of losing my Arab card, I don’t want to defend him, but it is suspicious

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Posts like this showed up before too. He’s an unlikable dictator. It just so happens that he recently threatened Israel, so you noticed this more.

• USNWoodwork@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Welp this did it. I’m going to need you to go turn in your Arab card down at the Department of Arabic and Islamic Civilizations. Otherwise we’re gonna have to send Akbar and Ahmed over.

• Gsus4@mander.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

yes, I’m hasbara, you got me.

PS: but ok, I sourced this from an odd newspiece somewhere on worldnews on reddit, I can’t prove you’re wrong, but if he did it in the last few days, it is not just a media campaign, it coincided.

• Gsus4@mander.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Well, I posted here a ridiculous story about angry far right protesters storming military bases in Israel for daring to punish soldiers for rape and the story got summarily removed for not being oniony enough, so I start to understand your suspicions.