No, I’m not saying all modern music is awful, but majority of the music that gets trending is terrible. Yet another girl that twerks for 3 minutes with a trap beat or some crappy awful rap song. Or Ariana Grande talking about another break up in the most boring cliché way possible. I guess since music is easier than ever to produce, now any clown can call themselves an artist.

Just keep in mind… The trending music in past decades was MJ, Madonna, Cindy Lauper, Cher, many, MANY decent to great rock bands and ballads. And I’m not forgetting the rap, rnb and hip hop, 2pac, salt n Peppa, en vogue, NWA, Biggie… There’s an objective quality in these artist missing in majority of modern acts.

Hell, I would argue that decent artists from the 2010s like Taylor swift and Drake are getting lazy with their music as well, their songs being more focused on following those trending kids with awful music.

• superkret@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Music is so much better than it used to be, it’s fucking incredible.
    I volunteer at a non-profit youth center. We host a lot of concerts, so basically I have a part time job as a booker.
    The quality of the bands who are willing to play for $200 a night (which covers the cost of getting there and back, but not even a bed for the night) is insane!
    Half the bands that play there for next to nothing are just as good as any that made it big 20 years ago.
    And they’re all on Spotify, so you can listen to any band you like as much as you like.

Trending music may suck, just ignore it.

• BuckFigotstheThird@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

$200 was the going rate in 1996. Now it’s just greed on behalf of the ones buying talent.

It’s all very depressing.

• Hatred@endlesstalk.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

And who’s talking about those unknown bands? I’m talking about global, popular music, not your indie band that only 1000 people know

My point is that back then popular music didn’t equal crappy music.

• DrSteveBrule@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Who cares what’s popular globally? There are services like bandcamp and SoundCloud that make listening to what isn’t the trending music so easy. If you can’t enjoy something because it’s niche, that is a you problem.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I’m fucking old dude. I’m well aware enough of MJ “being an alien” “sleeping in a capsule” and Madonna “erotica”. Since when I said kids can’t listen their music? Or that they need to need off my lawn, metaphorically? I’m just saying popular music mostly sucks nowadays and I explained why

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

And they’re stupid if they say that. I already explained why, popular trending music is objectively trash 9/10 of the time. Low effort, people can’t sing or perform anymore, awful lyrics that seems it came from a kid rhymes book with swearing on top.

• l_b_i@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Everybody always says modern pop music is terrible, your suffering from recency bias. Take a look at top 40s from 20 years ago. You’ll probably see a bunch of songs you forgot about because they didn’t stand the test of time. Old music isn’t better, you just only still hear the good stuff.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

False, I also check one hit wonders, the people could sing and perform. Nowadays, shit there’s compilations of artists being incapable of performing without the magic of auto tune and the music isn’t as elaborated

• macniel@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Sounds like you get your recommendations via Short Media Content and or Music TV? Perhaps consider using other means like last.fm? Or looking up genres you like and see what other artists are new to it, check them out?

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

You’re missing my point. Back then I didn’t needed to search beyond the popular acts to find great music.

• macniel@feddit.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Well tough luck in this corpo world.

Good acts need to be found, deal with it.

• norimee@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

You know, my grandfather said something quite similar back in the days…
    So did his grandfather and every generation before them.

• bizarroland@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

It’s probably because your particular demographic is not what they are targeting with today’s music.

The real money is in the young kids who use their allowance and part-time job earnings to purchase albums and to buy individual songs and to buy merch for bands.

If your particular aesthetics are stuck with what was popular in the 90s and early 2000s, chances are you have kids and responsibilities and you don’t have the time or financial bandwidth to obsess over the latest trend in music.

Also, as we grow older we tend to grow more segregated and apart from our peers so we have less things to talk about and less things to relate to with music.

Those factors combine basically mean that you are aging out of pop music.

And that’s okay, I recommend that you start looking more into independent labels and small bands with little following, you are more likely to find music that caters to your tastes if you put the work in, but Mass music is no longer catering to you and your preferences so it’s up to you whether you want to live in a world without new music or not.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

I don’t have anything close to a family… I don’t see the relation anyways. Music currently is getting dumber and worse. I’m not offended, I’m not an old man saying that this music corrupts the young people, that is stupidity. But is definitely worse. Yeah it’s catering kids… With worse music.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Why not? That’s a fact. Right now there’s like 2 girls twerking on YouTube for a rap video, you would think they’re the strippers for the video, no they’re the artist, and the lyrics are wank. They almost make Nicki Minaj’s “anaconda” passable… Almost

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              1 month ago

Madonna is a real artist. That’s the difference. Like a virgin, as provocative as it was, it was smart. The whole machine behind her was smart and even though provoking. Even his erotica days, as sexually as it was. I’m not against sex in music, but it needs a strong reason to be there.

• RabbitMix@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

most of the popular stuff was bad back then too, you just got introduced to it when you were young so you’ve got rose tinted glasses for it now.

• Chloë (she/her)@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I dunno I don’t listen to mainstream music, Gojira, Lorna shore and LoG are good and they are relatively new bands, so music definitely isn’t going to shit, it’s just that given a good song there is a high probability it didn’t come out this year since good music has existed for many years. (Hopefully that makes sense)

• MrJameGumb@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Modern popular music is just different now. I don’t know that I’d say it’s “better” or “worse”, it’s just different music being marketed to a younger generation. Judging from your list of acceptable pop acts that seems to end sometimes in the early 90s, I’d say you’re probably going to be disappointed a lot of the time because there just aren’t that many 20 something age musicians who want to dedicate their careers to recreating their parents music lol

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

False. I want risk and evolution but not lack of effort and just clowns trying to become viral. Rihanna, for example, is one of the few modern artists that feels like a genuine REAL artist,I don’t see compromises and see pure real talent.

Linkin park in 2010 had a very avant-garde album, again nothing old school but it’s was real good music.

On the other hand, Greta van whatever did a mediocre Led Zeppelin wannabe album, old sound right, bait for old people. It was insincere.

• macniel@feddit.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I want risk and evolution but not lack of effort and just clowns trying to become viral.

you want risk and evolution? Independents it is then, because corpos hate taking risks, they like to play it safe by regurgitating old shit.

Same thing in the Videogames or hell any creative space.

• Artemis@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Totally agree. I’m relatively young-ish still (I’d like to think 😅) but haven’t listened to much new music at all in the past 10 years, and especially now…I find myself constantly going back from the 90s to maybe the 2010s, with some older classics sprinkled in as well.

• Sanctus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Message From Mercury is a band from a guy I game jammed with. They’re incredible. Ariana Grande and Social House made a banger together. We’re dripping in incredibly shit and its never been more accessible. I think you’re digging yourself a cloud yelling hole.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

It’s because they don’t bother finding artists and cultivating original talent now. That’s risky. It’s far more lucrative to find an attractive person, teach them to dance, and have them perform a bunch of songs that were written using a proven algorithm. A bunch of people are going to argue with me, but industry insiders have admitted this on more than one occasion. I’ve read articles and interviews about it. No, I will not be providing evidence. It’s out there to find if you want to look for it.