Why is it on Epic and not on Steam?

World of Goo 2 would not exist if Epic had not helped us fund the game! We were able to hire artists and engineers for multiple years to help us build the biggest game we’ve ever made. We’re grateful for this! You’ve likely seen similar arrangements with other games, and I imagine ours is comparable.

If you don’t use Epic, that’s ok. You can always get World of Goo 2 right here on this page, DRM-free, for Win / Mac / Linux. Just scroll up there. And if you have a Nintendo Switch, you can get it on the eShop directly on your device.

But I want to play it on my heavy computer that’s strapped to my face and sprays pixels into my eyeballs.

Someone in Chapter 4 wants to have a conversation with you.

How did you fit so much goo into this game?

Computers have come a long way in the last 16 years!

I used to play the original World of Goo when I was a kid. Will this make me feel like a kid again?

You might be able to visit for a while.

I missed you, World of Goo!

We hope you will love it as much as we’ve loved building and discovering this new world! You can read our first interview about the game here.

• WormFood@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

people in this thread have lost their damn minds. you can buy the game without DRM. that’s better than epic or steam

• trevor@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Buying the game without DRM is great. But the fact that people don’t have the option to buy it in any store they want is annoying, and we can thank Epic for that. Epic is poison and they earned the hate they get.

• PlzGivHugs@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

The problem isn’t even that we can’t buy in any store we want. Thats normal. The problem is that they’re paying to prevent it from being added to other stores, because they know other stores would out-compete them. Imagine how absurd and anti-consumer it would be if Pizza Pizza could pay a peperoni producer to not sell to other pizza chains, for example.

That said, Epic did effectively fund the game from scratch, which makes this more grey area in terms of overall results, but considering Epic’s history, I can see easily why people are viewing this pessimistically.

• kieron115@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

I can’t think of any time in history that the public has had that ability for anything. Imagine being upset because a Ford dealership won’t sell you a Toyota, or that Kohl’s won’t sell you some designer brand.

• shinratdr@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Not if you own a Steam Deck, or want cloud saving, or have hundreds of games and don’t want to hope you remember your login and password for this one game 10 years from now and that the website still exists, or worry about keeping a local backup of the game if you want to play it in the future.

DRM-free direct downloads are a great option, but better than Steam? That’s subjective. For me, I want all of those things I listed so a non-Steam PC game for me is a last resort, pretty much only reserved for games that I really want to play.

I don’t know why people find this so difficult to understand, I have to assume they’re being wilfully obtuse. Would you download a separate app and create an account for every song you wanted to listen to or every movie you wanted to watch? Of course not. So why would games be any different?

• WormFood@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

it’s not really subjective, having a drm free download is like owning the thing, having it on steam is like borrowing it from someone fairly trustworthy, and having it on epic is like borrowing it from an asshole

you’re on a decentralised, federated social media website. why are you arguing that more centralisation is a good thing? the comparison you’re making is nonsense. you don’t need to download an app or sign up for an account to listen to music drm free or to play drm free copies of games. you download the thing at the point of purchase and then you own it and you can do whatever you want with it. and that includes launching it from steam, which I do with a lot of my drm free games

• xavier666@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

you’re on a decentralised, federated social media website. why are you arguing that more centralisation is a good thing?

The same reason people gave up piracy for Netflix a decade back; it offered a better service.

Note: I know what Netflix is like now. But my point still stands.

• shinratdr@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

It’s subjective or we wouldn’t be arguing about it would we? Maintaining my own backup of downloaded DRM free games not offered through a service is not a benefit to me, it’s an inconvenience. I already explained why, and what the benefits are.

You don’t need an account to listen to DRM free music or movies, true. But if you delete them either on purpose or because of data loss, you have to go get them again should you want them. Which means digging through emails or accounts or backup drives to get your copies again. That’s not worth it to me, I prefer being able to set up Steam and just go, delete games and redownload them as needed in a click.

People are on Lemmy for lots of different reasons, you shouldn’t assume that the primary reason anyone is here is because they deeply care about free software or decentralization. I’m here because Reddit banned 3rd party clients and I hate their app, same reason I’m on Mastodon.

• shinratdr@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

You can, but it requires going through the desktop interface to install them, if they use another launcher you have to set up that, frequently some trial and error, and then adding them into the Steam interface so they can launch easily with proper input support.

Do all that and set them up correctly, and they’ll run, but without one of the primary Steam Deck benefits which is that Valve does pre-compilation of shaders. That only works for native Steam titles, and it can be the difference between a game being playable and a stuttery mess, especially for more graphically intense titles.

For some games, there are also hardcoded patches in Proton that look for the SteamID of the game to apply them. Those also won’t have those fixes applied when adding them as non-Steam games.

• 2ncs@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

requires going through the desktop interface to install them, if they use another launcher you have to set up that, frequently some trial and error

Valve does pre-compilation of shaders. That only works for native Steam titles, and it can be the difference between a game being playable and a stuttery mess, especially for more graphically intense titles

there are also hardcoded patches in Proton that look for the SteamID of the game to apply them. Those also won’t have those fixes applied when adding them as non-Steam games.

How is any of this the fault of the World of Goo devs? How come Valve shouldn’t be expected to implement features to make these things simpler/work?

• shinratdr@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              1 month ago

Because they have a very simple solution: offer their game through their storefront. Why is it Valve’s problem that the World of Goo developers want to forgo their popular storefront because they partnered with a company that forbids it as a requirement of funding?

The real answer of course is that nobody is obligated to help the other with their product. The issue comes down to consumers and what they want to support. I think Valve is being perfectly fair here and Epic is not. The Steam Deck is an open system, if Epic wanted to build a storefront for it, they could. They choose not to, because they don’t want to promote Steam Deck sales.

Isn’t it funny that the “run your own marketplace and keep all revenue” option that Epic took Apple to court over is already available on the Steam Deck from Day 1 and Epic chooses not to take advantage of it. It’s almost like company using a pile of cash to artificially tip the scales in their favour is perfectly fine as long as its them.

Everyone made their business choices here, and they have to live with the consequences.

• Paddzr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

So say the game dev shuts down and my install is lost or I never kept it. That “DRM free” is now lost. What is more likely, steam shuttin g down or studio who was unable to fund themselves?

DRM free offers no tangible benefit to 99% of people.