• warm@kbin.earth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Yeah, it’s your money, spend it how you want (but please stop buying skins). It’s a tough one, I guess we are stuck with it though unless a major attitude shift happens suddenly. I think a lot of people forgot or never experienced games before MTX were rampant, so they literally don’t know any better.

That’s crazy yeah, there’s CS skins these days going for tens of thousands. I heard there was an AK sold for over a million, whether or not that was true I don’t know, but the fact I think it could be really says a lot about the current state of video games.

• PlzGivHugs@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

It is worth noting that unlike something like a League or Overwatch skin, and even a lot of early TF2 trading, modern CS and Dota skins have more emphasis put on their marketability and speculative value. For example, I’ve bought a few CS skins that I don’t use, purely because I expect their value to increase over the next couple years. Of course, thats not all of the buyers, but that influences the purchase, and allows for those valuations unlike a Fortnite skin with a fixed price tag set by Epic with zero recoupable value.

• warm@kbin.earth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Yes, but the market is still designed to make Valve money and they are using that as a marketing tool to entice you in. The more desirable skins are a lot more expensive than they would be in Fortnite or whatever. The upside is that you can sell and trade them, so you can actually recoup at least 85% of the value (or more), the downside being that the money stays in Valve’s ecosystem. Ignoring 3rd-party markets here, where you can risk selling for real money.