35 crypto companies got together to make a change dot org petition called “Bitcoin Deserves an Emoji”.

F that

• radamant@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Please describe how I can send the money to my mom in Russia (disconnected from SWIFT) with GNU Taler today. I’ll wait.

• TootSweet@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I don’t know how I could possibly have been more explicit about it not yet being ready for any real-world use cases than I was.

• radamant@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

It will never be ready. It doesn’t even make sense. To transact with real fiat like the US dollar, you’ll have to go through an official on-ramp and an off-ramp of the respective government. And to do an international transaction you’ll have to use one of the widely accepted systems like SWIFT. GNU Taler doesn’t appear to address anything like that. Anyhow, my comment was made with the premise of this whole thread in mind, i.e. “Bitcoin is stupid” or “snake oil”. Yet there’s no alternatives to what crypto provides. So is it that stupid after all?

• explodicle@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

How wasteful!

Anyhow, today I’m going to resume using a currency backed by oil and nukes, which encourages consumption on purpose. I will then either exploit workers by investing in a for-profit business, or get poorer.

But someday, in the future, economics will work the way I expect them to. That’s when I’ll switch to something better!

• iopq@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Russia has had oil and nukes and it didn’t stop the ruble from collapsing in the 90s

Maybe reexamine your assumptions