35 crypto companies got together to make a change dot org petition called “Bitcoin Deserves an Emoji”.

F that

• gerryflap@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

No, people just don’t like crypto because it’s a huge waste of energy that has no use for the average person at the moment and is only used by rich people to get richer without much regulation. Don’t get me wrong, it might definitely be useful when used correctly in the future. Not wasting as much energy by ditching proof of work, becoming actually useful for normal transactions, etc. But right now it’s just an overhyped technology for obnoxious cryptobros.

• Katana314@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I mean…I’ll go one further. I know there have been many historical “aged like milk” quotes, like about how much RAM computers need, but I’m still saying this in confidence: I don’t think that cryptocurrency or blockchains will ever have a useful purpose. Their design is built to solve societal problems, but introduces worse problems in implementing them. This goes well beyond just taking too much electricity.

• iopq@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

They already have a useful purpose. Sending crypto is much easier than sending different currencies into different countries. The services exist, but they are prohibitively expensive if you’re sending like $50

Send Monero or something and it’s far easier and faster. You can exchange it for your own currency locally or just sit on it.

• Katana314@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Every time one of these articles is posted, I predict a very very short investigation into the technical workings of the project will find that the same could’ve been done with a much simpler central database. Or, that they were actually using a database at the backend and wasting their whole crypto approach.

• deafboy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

it might definitely be useful when used correctly in the future

I can almost see the monk smacking an orphan for holding the spoon in the wrong hand :D

• prole@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Bitcoin ≠ cryptocurrency.

Ethereum lowered it’s power consumption by over 99% after switching to Proof-of-Stake.

Bitcoin was the first cryptocurrency and we don’t even fucking know who came up with it.

How about we don’t throw away the possibility of 5.1 Surround Sound Blu-Ray Audio, because wax cylinders sound like shit?

“Computers are cool and all, but they take up entire rooms and only do simple calculations! It’s a complete waste of time and money to invest in such a technology!”

^That’s you

• index@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

No, people just don’t like crypto because it’s a huge waste of energy that has no use for the average person

This is actually part of government propaganda to discredit cryptocurrencies.

Lemmy servers consume energy too and half of the content is memes, i don’t see anyone complaining about it.

• Opisek@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

You can’t begin to imagine just how much energy cryptocurrencies use. A web server can never come close.

• JustAnotherRando@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Pretty sure people have been shitting on AI pretty heavily as well, partly for those reasons (but also for several others).

• index@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

I’m sure meta or google energy usage is up there but i’ve yet to see someone complaining about mr.beast or cristiano ronaldo wasting energy with their videos.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

Maybe because people value entertainment more than invisible money that won’t help them anyway.

• index@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

or more like because the government doesn’t have problems with people keeping themself busy on entertainment vs them using a decentralized and open currency that can bypass financial institutions

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

I’m pretty sure the government isn’t forcing people to watch YouTube and neither of the people you mentioned are government employees, unless you’re concocting some elaborate Alex Jones-level conspiracy theory.

• index@sh.itjust.works
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 month ago

You seem to have same comprehension problems or to be in bad faith. Read carefully what i wrote, it’s nothing of what you said.

Trying to label everything as a conspiracy theory is something the government and propaganda have been doing excessively over the past years. You may not like it to hear it but every time cristiano ronaldo appears in state media and gets paid for it they are indeed working for the government. When the government put restrictions on youtube competitors such tiktok or when they use it to broadcast official events, they are indeed forcing you to use youtube.

That’s not the point of the discussion anyway: cryptocurrencies aren’t controlled by the government and hard to control by design, there lies the government interest to boycott them.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    1 month ago

Maybe if it was controlled, it wouldn’t constantly fluctuate in value and would actually be worth buying things with without hoping for a day when it’s worth more and you’re richer.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Yeah because they have a lot of servers. The problem is each individual web server does not use a lot of energy whereas each individual server running a crypto currency blockchain uses a lot of energy for that one server.