• Something Burger 🍔@jlai.lu
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Khaleesi, 6, a passport was denied — with officials telling her she needed Warner Brothers’ approval because it owns the name’s trademark.

Typical capitalist brain rot.

Shouldn’t they also use the same bullshit excuse when issuing an ID card? At least make the dumb rules consistent.

• empireOfLove2@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

By this logic, everyone named Mickey should be paying Disney a royalty…

Wait shit retract delete delete DISNEY I DID JOT SAY ANYTHING DONT GET ANY FUCKING IDEAS NOW.

• leftzero@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Aren’t they aware that the TV series is based on a book series…? If anyone owns the name it’d be George R.R. Martin…

• Ilovethebomb@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

The Passport Office reportedly later called Lucy to apologize for the error.

They screwed up, and have admitted they screwed up. Did nobody read the article?

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Does the WB even own that trademark? You have to manually apply for each one. Also, trademarks are specific to commercial operations and two companies are allowed to share if they aren’t in the same business. I don’t think trademark laws even apply here.

• anothermember@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Shouldn’t they also use the same bullshit excuse when issuing an ID card? At least make the dumb rules consistent.

To be fair, ID cards aren’t common in the UK and passports are very common. This is quite probably the first time she’s applied for any form of ID. Not agreeing with it, just saying.

• Maggoty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

The idiocy of naming your kid Khaleesi aside, the UK just decided that a corporation can own your name and prevent you from enjoying the rights of your citizenship.

That’s pretty fucked.

Edit - Apparently they did backtrack. But it’s still amazing that anyone even thought that was a thing.

• MrJameGumb@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I’m pretty sure we’re going to keep hearing about people with Game of Thrones names a lot over the next few decades lol I know I’ve read a few articles saying that Arya and Khaleesi were the most popular girls names for a few years before the series ended

• DragonTypeWyvern@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

So is Christ, and therefore Christine and Christopher. Or Rex. Or Duke… Or Earl… Or Lady… Or Baron.

Bishop.

Pope.

Smith.

I’m sure there are more.

• Jerkface@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

“Major Major had been born too late and too mediocre. Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three. Even among men lacking all distinction he inevitably stood out as a man lacking more distinction than all the rest, and people who met him were always impressed by how unimpressive he was.”

• Revan343@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

Smith is a profession more than a title, and is also generally a surname. I’ll give you Christopher and Rex though

• wjrii@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

At least Arya doesn’t go full speedrun genocidal maniac because the showrunners are bored and think they have Star Wars money coming.

Never name your kid or your dog after a character until the who is over, folks! Cats? It’s fine.

• Revan343@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

I disagree, as cats are longer lived than dogs; wanna give your dog a stupid name, go for it

This may or may not have anything to do with the fact that I have three cats and zero dogs

• wjrii@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

LOL, it’s more that I’m less concerned finding out a cat is named after a woman who just wanted to watch the world burn, and I presume the cat would be too.

• RedWeasel@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

At least Khaleesi sounds pretty normal still. I’ve heard about people naming their kids with names they basically made up so their kid’s is unique or really weird names otherwise. Unfortunately here in the states you’ll hear about some that have named their kid after Adolf and other worse choices.

• edric@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

Zappa’s kids are fine since they’re children of a famous person (not to mention talented in their own right) and have the privilege of not having to live like a normal person with a weird name.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

I used to work with a guy named Pelvis. I couldn’t bring myself to ask him where the name came from lol

• Revan343@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

Well with a dad with a name like Frank Zappa, you get what you get and hope for the best.

Could be worse, kid could be named Khaleesi

• AmidFuror@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Within the US, “Arya” peaked for baby girls at rank 92 in 2019. 3050 girls or 0.166% of female births were given the name.

“Khaleesi” peaked in 2018 at rank 550 and 0.030% of female births.

I’m assuming other spellings were less common.

• RubberDuck@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Why the f is a passport office concerned with a trademark. It is a name of a child… it does not infringe.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Right? Like did she have to ask WB for permission to name her kid Khaleesi? Of course not! It’s a kid’s name not a spin off series lol

• Em Adespoton@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Sure… Walter is a regular first name, and there’s lots of people with the last name Disney. It’s from “de Ysini”, and lots of people lived and live in the Ysini region. Company is from the French compagnie, from Latin companio, where we also get companion.

So “Walter of Ysini, Friend” AKA “Walt Disney Company” is a perfectly legitimate name.

As is Michael Mouse.

• Stovetop@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Excluding laws in certain places meant to protect children from a life of ridicule, you can name your child whatever you want.

The issue of trademark, which is what this article highlights, only concerns applications where there is a business conflict. For example, it is normal for an actor/musician/artist to trademark their name as their “brand,” which means I can’t just form a thrash metal band called “Taylor Swift” to profit off of some confused music listeners. And even if my legal name was Taylor Swift, I could still be required to change my “stage name” to something else when promoting myself as an artist to avoid any confusion/conflict with Tay-Tay.

Last I checked, Warner Bros is not in the passport industry, so this is a dumb argument that should never have occurred. If I had to guess, it was probably just some random disgruntled government employee who felt the need to play armchair activist and “punish” a parent because they didn’t like the name they chose for their child.

• Apytele@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I thought your comment was satire at first but what the fuck. There’s really no denying they own us at this point.

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The Passport Office reportedly later called Lucy to apologize for the error. While officials said they’d now be able to process little Khaleesi’s passport, Lucy said she believes the problem was only solved because she complained on social media.

Sounds like the passport office didn’t understand how trademark works.

• GlenRambo@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Doubt the “whole office” was even involved. More likely it was one incompetent employee. We’ve all been there. It depends on who answers your call as to what answer you get.

• wjrii@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Yup. This is the boring but likely true response. You get the one Gareth/Dwight who remembers that memo about not using trademarks in marketing materials and decides they know how this all works and that the rights of Warner Brothers have to be respected before putting their intellectual property on a published document. “Just get the appropriate permission on corporate letterhead and notarized, and this will all be fine.”

Social media is one way to fix it, but I tend to think a couple of layers of escalation would have worked as well, if a bit more slowly.

• linearchaos@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

The government’s not real good about hiring the best pick for each position. Irregularly run into people who have no clue how to actually run their job, and there’s little to no consequences to f****** people’s lives up by doing it incorrectly.

• alcoholicorn@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

That’s hardly specific to the government. A couple years ago, Hertz falsely reported 364 customers for grand theft auto. Some of them went to jail.

• linearchaos@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Most places I’ve worked had incompetent workers. Every state and government agency I’ve ever worked for was made primarily of incompetent workers

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

“I never thought you could trademark a name,” she added.

I hope my son Marvel’s The Amazing Spider-Man is not going to get in trouble.

• huquad@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

This is their fault for not checking the username db first. Should’ve tried xXx_khaleesi_xXx instead

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

the initial application to get her daughter, Khaleesi, 6, a passport was denied — with officials telling her she needed Warner Brothers’ approval because it owns the name’s trademark.

This is a lot dumber than I thought. Yes, Khaleesi is a stupid name but it is their official name on government papers. They’re seriously telling her “your daughter can’t use her legal name without permission from Warner Brothers”?

• weariedfae@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

As the article states this is bullshit and who knows what the person who denied her passport was thinking.

I’ve met someone whose legal name was Pepsi and she was able to get regular government documents without contacting PepsiCo.

It’s unfortunate this mom had to go to a lawyer for this crap.

• DarkCloud@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

The name Wendy didn’t exist until the book Peterpan. Every part of language is made up, even the names.

• ThatWeirdGuy1001@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Yeah but it’s also the parents responsibility to give their child a non stupid name that won’t get them ridiculed their whole life.

Parents being quirky with names is how you end up with kids getting bullied forever.

Edit: Glad to see all the people who weren’t bullied downvoting this. My name isn’t even that weird and I still get made fun of for it. Don’t give your kids stupid names.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I mean I don’t even have that odd of a name but even in adulthood it’s made fun of occasionally.

I can only imagine someone named after some fantasy story.

• Acemod@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

Hey, maybe realise by your experience that it isn’t the name but shitty people.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              1 month ago

That’s half of my whole point 💀

Shit people exist. It’s hard enough when everything’s normal.

Imagine how much worse it would be for some kid with a name that’s actually weird not just slightly.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 month ago

Have you ever dealt with a bully’s parents? Have you ever even dealt with a bully?

Schools tend to favor bullies. Mainly because their parents are fucking crazy and will threaten all kinds of shit and most normal people don’t want to deal with that.

• Acemod@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Kids will make fun of any name. My name is common in the area of the world I am from, and they bullied me with my name.

Fuck off with this shit that the name is the problem, kids probably just decided to bully because they are terrible little shits whise parents either don’t care, or encourage them.

• Acemod@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

If your kid is a shithead, there is only one place to place the blame, and its not the kid.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Tell that to the parents who let their kids do whatever they want and will completely flip their shit if anyone dares threaten their “perfect little angel”

To everyone else don’t set your kids up for failure.

• Acemod@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                1 month ago

Hey, thanks for elaborating on my point.

Because its the parents that I was pointing the finger at.

• sandbox@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

This is the same argument used in the UK to justify school uniforms. That kids would get bullied over their clothes, so let’s just make everyone wear the same thing. I’m wondering how you feel about that

• dream_weasel@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Agreed on all fronts. Don’t be a cruel parent and give your kid a fucked up name. If you can’t find it on the keychain turnstile in a truck stop, your “cute” name for a kid is causing more trouble than it’s worth.

I have a misspelled common name (and it’s a common misspelling) and every call for every account in my whole life is a PITA.

You aren’t clever or cute, don’t fuck up your kid’s name. Color your hair blue and you be unique, leave your poor child alone, dipshit.

• Xenny@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

What’s wrong with passport offices? Here in the states I tried to get my passport in my teen years. I filled all the paperwork paid for it and everything when it came time to get the passport they were just like"you don’t exist your social security number isn’t real" and that’s b******* since my mom had been literally filing taxes with that number as a dependent my entire life. The passport office said tough s*** fax me all your ID information maybe we can do something. So I literally hooked up a fax machine in 2014 and sent everything off but still nothing.

Tl;Dr US passport office told me I’m not a person and took my money anyway.

• Maggoty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

A. Call your Congress critter. Part of their job is tracking stuff like this down.

B. Go check with SSA immediately. That can be a big problem later.

• Birbatron@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

I’m not familiar with how voting works in America but like…

Can you vote? I mean it thinks you’re not a person, can non-people vote?

• moistclump@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

In case anyone else wanted to save a click, daughters name is Khaleesi and it was denied because “Warner brothers trademark”

• el_abuelo@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

People in this thread frothing at the mouth because it’s a title, not a name, must have forgotten about Caesar. And that it doesn’t matter - people call their kids all kinds of weird shit.

• noli@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

You mean Gaius Julius Caesar? Caesar was his last name, aka family name.

• cjk@discuss.tchncs.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

His family name was Julius (because he was from the family of the Iulii). Caesar was a title and since Augustus became part of the name when the position was taken up.

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Caesar was a title

Caesar became a title after the collapse of the Republic, largely because the Augustine line carried it forward as proof of legitimacy. There was no position of “Caeser” within the Roman Republic, just a family name dating back to Julius Caeser’s great-grandfather.

• Taalen@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Well, technically both Julius and Caesar were his last names, Caesar was an extra name of unknown origin in his family branch. Since him it became a title.