If a 0.4mm nozzle is 4x the area of a 0.2mm nozzle, should I print 4x faster with a 0.2mm nozzle?

Context - I think I’m having heat creep and printing too slow. (ender 3, pla 210c)

• schizo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    17 days ago

A: Don’t own pets.

Since I’m curious (and just a 0.4mm scrub) I’m assuming pet hair is enough to block the nozzle?

• kitnaht@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      17 days ago

Not just pet hair, but pet dander. Pets in general just add a bunch of stuff to the air that likes to land on top of uncovered rolls of filament; I run a repair shop for 3D printers, and after some surveying, I’ve found that people with pets experience clogs much more often.

0.2mm nozzles are like 25% of the area that a 0.4 has. That means every, little, potential bit of problem can, and WILL clog the nozzle.

Additionally, the 0.2mm nozzles are so tiny, there’s not likely a good way to clean them, as most needles are 0.3mm or larger.

• schizo
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        17 days ago

Yeah that makes sense.

I guess I’ve avoided that since I printed and made a thing that wipes the filament as it goes into the printer, I suppose.

• kitnaht@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          17 days ago

Those are surprisingly effective to be quite honest. You never know what kinds of systems people have though, so you gotta kinda cover it all.

They really need to stop selling Ender 3s, 3 pro, 3 v2, and other ‘prior generation’ Enders. The 3v3 is the one to get now, and doesn’t have near the learning curve of the old ones.