I’m planning to build a computer primarily for programming and want to ensure it’s upgradeable for the future. and Hardware with opensource drivers support.

• vrek@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 days ago

I tend to recommend a 3 year cycle. Year 1 upgrade peripherals (speakers, monitors, maybe chair, keyboard, mouse etc) year 2. Upgrade video card and hard drives. year 3. Upgrade motherboard, ram and cpu. Year 4 repeat year 1

With this you can you can do 95% of the latest stuff with “good” stuff (think XX70 cards rather then 80 or 90 series) since you are never that outdated on any portion.

• borari@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 days ago

You upgrade your chair, keyboard, mouse, and speakers every 3-4 years? You might as well be flushing your money down the toilet. You’re giving pretty terrible advice imo.

• huginn@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 days ago

I bought an expensive chair 8 years ago and it’s as good as the day I bought it. I’ll easily get another 8 out of it and it will likely last 30+ years of heavy use.

Which makes it cheaper than buying a $120 chair every 3 years.

• Plopp@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 days ago

Replacing peripherals that often is nuts. Buy proper gear instead of wasting your money. My speakers are 20 years old and still look and sound like new, my proper office chair finally needs replacing or repairing but I got it used 24 years ago (do yourself a favor and never buy a “gaming chair”, buy a proper ergonomic office chair meant to sit in 8+ hrs/day). Monitor is 12 years old and works great for anything that doesn’t require >60Hz. Buy quality keyb+mouse and replace them when they break if you can’t repair them.

And depending on what you do, your computer could last longer than you think. I’m still running a first gen Threadripper from 2017 and it still handles everything I’m throwing at it without hesitation, granted I’m not throwing very heavy things at it these days.

• vrek@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 days ago

No, I replace some of them, Whatever needs it’s. For example this is actually a peripheral year so my monitors are good, my desk is good, I’m 50/50 on my chair but I’m planning to replace my speakers.