• blady_blah@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 days ago

Technology has moved from nitch nerdy thing to general public usage and as it did so it became usable without knowing what’s going on. Gen Z doesn’t know shit about technology, they just know how to use it.

When I was a kid, if you wanted to get a computer working you had to screw with the RAM settings or build the computer yourself from components. If you didn’t know how to do this you talked with someone who did. I’ve forced my kids to learn at least some of this, but the idea that they’re more tech savvy is ridiculous. They’re users of tech, but it’s become too complicated (and more user friendly), so they don’t know what’s happening behind their screen.

• ralakus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

Gonna defend gen z a bit here. Unlike older generations, gen z was raised in a large part only on locked down, touch screen interface devices like smartphones and tablets. These devices are designed to not be tampered with, designed and streamlined to “just work” for certain tasks without any hassle.

If you only have a smartphone or tablet, how are you supposed to learn how to use a desktop os? How are you supposed to learn how to use a file system? How are you supposed to learn how to install programs outside of a central app store? How are you supposed to learn to type on a physical keyboard if you do not own one?

I worked as a public school technician for a while and we used Chromebooks at my school system. Chromebooks are just as locked down if not more locked down than a smartphone due to school restrictions imposed via Google’s management interface. Sure they have a physical keyboard and “files” but many interfaces nowadays are point and click rather than typing. The filesystem (at least on the ones I worked with) were locked down to just the Downloads, Documents, Pictures, etc. directories with everything else locked down and inaccessible.

Schools (at least the ones I went to and worked at) don’t teach typing classes anymore. They don’t teach cursive classes. They don’t teach any classes on how to use technology outside of a few Microsoft certification programs that students have to chose to be in (and are awfully dull and will put you to sleep).

Gen Z does not have these technology skills because they largely do not have access to anything that they can use to learn these skills and they aren’t taught them by anyone. Gen Z is just expected to know these skills from being exposed to technology but that’s not how it works in the real world.

These people aren’t dumb as rocks either like so many older people say they are. It’s a bell curve, you’ll have the people dumb as rocks, the average person, and the Albert Einsteins. Most people here on lemmy fall closer to the “Albert Einstein” end of the tech savvy curve so there’s a lot of bias here. But I’ve had so many cases where I’ve met Boomers, Gen X, and Millennial who just can’t grasp technology at all.

Also, before someone says “they can just look it up on the internet”, they have no reason to. What’s the point of looking up these skills if they cannot practice them anywhere? Sure, you’ll have a few that are curious and interested in it but a vast majority of people have interests that lie outside of tech skills.

Tl;dr Gen Z is just expected to know technology and thus aren’t taught how to use it or even have access to non-locked down devices.

• ArcaneSlime@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 days ago

Duh. They use phones mostly. A lot of the gen z people I know are just as bad as boomers with tech. Millennials and gen x had that sweet spot of “actually having to learn how shit works not just iphone go brrr.”

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 days ago

Yeah I don’t know why the article mentions Gen Z’s “tech-savvy reputation”. Being able to operate a cell phone doesn’t make you tech savvy.

Gen X and Millennials grew up using command line and troubleshooting computer problems before the Internet. Their tech skills are way higher than Gen Z.

• cRazi_man@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 days ago

I never needed to use command line, but I did hone my typing skills on MIRC and ICQ.

• inb4_FoundTheVegan@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 days ago

I’m thankful my father was so insistent on teaching me to type properly. At the time I was super annoyed at him putting a cardboard cutout over the keyboard so I couldn’t see keys. But touch typing has been a boon ever since, I doubt dad was prepping me for typing quickly mid-game but it sure is nice!

• Pistcow@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 days ago

My dad was similar. Guess thats a good thing looking back. I’m going to teach my kid pivot tables so they can rule the world.

• pandapoo@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 days ago

Pretty sure booting into DOS before loading Windows and playing the Oregon Trail on the Apple IIe both count as command line experience.

I also think that as smug as a lot people feel about this, it doesn’t seem far off to think that physical keyboard typing skills could be substituted with newer technologies, or refined versions of existing tech. At least in terms of performing most office job functions.

I’m not saying it’ll be more efficient, or better, just that it wouldn’t be a surprising next step given the trends being discussed here.

If that happens, I have no doubt that smugness will turn into self-righteous indignation and a stubborn refusal to abandon the tactile keyboard for older generations, myself included.

I just hope that if that transition occurs during my lifetime, it’s an either-or situation, and not a replacement of the keyboard.

• areyouevenreal@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 days ago

Key chording has always been faster than conventional single letter typing, and that tech has been around for a long time now in the form of stenography machines. Yet most people learn on a conventional keyboard because it’s simpler and more ubiquitous. This is true even now that chording has been adapted to programming and similar tasks.

You have to remember we live in a world where most people don’t even know how to write properly, even those who do it as part of their job like doctors. If you draw letters by moving your fingers, you’re doing it wrong by the way. The actual proper technique involves using your shoulder, elbow, and wrist to do most of the work. We’ve known about this for centuries, and these techniques were designed with dip pens, quils, brush, and fountain pens in mind. The cheap ballpoint pen along with rather bad instructions from teachers has led to proper handwriting technique being forgotten, and causes problems like RSI in people who handwrite regularly.

• barsoap@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              8 days ago

Oh ball point pens. Last I heard one of the thing they do preserve in primary school over here is the good ole progression from pencil to fountain pen and sticking for that for the whole four years. Pencil because if you use too much force you break the thing without breaking it, it’s just annoying, and that’s the point, once they switch to fountain pens they’re not going to bend them. Also, cursive from the start. There’s important lessons about connecting up letters in there: Writing single letters properly is harder than cursive because on top of moving your pen over the paper, you have to lift it. Much easier if you already have proper on-paper movement down.

I am quite partial to ink rollers nowadays but still can’t stand ordinary ball points. They feel wrong.

• areyouevenreal@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 days ago

I too think ball point pens are horrible. Fountain pens are not that expensive, last a lot longer as they are refillable, and just write better. There are some rather bad fountain pens out there though lol. Platinum Preppy is pretty much the gold standard for cheap pens under £10 or $10. Platinum plasir is a little more expensive but has a more durable body and cap made of metal using the same nib and feed as the preppy. You can also get disposable fountain pens now that aren’t half bad.

Liquid ink roller balls are a good product too and are a nice middle ground between ball point and fountain pen. Although to be fair I wouldn’t be against a return to good old fashioned dip pens as these are the best for calligraphy and honestly look cool as heck in my opinion.

• barsoap@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  7 days ago

The trouble with fountain pens is that they don’t really expect you to not write for a month or two. The ones with built-in tank would be less annoying there as you can easily uncrust everything by pulling in some ink through the feather (is that what the tip is called in English? I have no idea), but their great downside is that when they make a mess, they make a real mess. Ink rollers you can put in a pocket without worrying and they don’t really dry out. Mostly though you don’t have to ram them into the paper to write.

Also, clutch pencils. Those mechanical ones that take leads that are as thick as usual wood-encased ones, and that you sharpen. If you ever have like 10 bucks burning a hole in your pocket get yourself some koh-i-noor clutch pencils and collection of leads (usual is HB but I’d suggest trying out 2B for writing), suitable sharpener (pencils come with an emergency one but it’s not too nice), as well as two tombow erasers: The ordinary one, and the dust catch one. Life’s too precious to waste nerves on shoddy leads and erasers. Also a Faber-Castel kneadable eraser: Even if you don’t draw it’s occasionally useful to be able to have a fine eraser tip. koh-i-noor leads are reportedly good enough for both artists and engineers and, truth be told, what could be a more perfect combination of endorsements. And, as said, like 10 bucks total.

• areyouevenreal@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                7 days ago

Forcing children to do cursive was not really the point I am trying to make. Yes it’s technically more efficient to write that way, but it’s also considerably more complicated. Forcing children with disabilities to do it leads to all kinds of problems, and makes their writing less legible. I am more talking about techniques that avoid issues like RSI. If we are making children do things we should be teaching them the correct way to do it, not half assing it. While I think we should still teach cursive, I don’t think it should be mandatory. In fact I actually want to see more keyboard use with proper ten finger technique, as that is useful for the real world. Typing technique is also something schools love to neglect. It’s also better to give kids that option as even with better handwriting instruction some just do not have the required motor skills through no fault of their own. People like me were forced to do handwriting practice despite having significant coordination issues, and never being taught the right technique. Eventually I had to dig through obscure corners of the Internet to find out the right way. Situations like that should never be allowed to continue for as long as it did in my case. Either by actually teaching the right technique in the first place, or in cases where that doesn’t work by switching to typing instead.

• barsoap@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  7 days ago

Forcing children with disabilities to do it

If we are making children do things we should be teaching them the correct way to do it, not half assing it.

…which includes cursive. Also for disabled folks, as far as possible: At that point you’re teaching fine motor mechanics first and foremost, secondly writing. How quickly they write is of no great consequence (or we’d be teaching shorthand), how well their motor skills develop is. The usual approach here is that you get a set cursive with a couple of options and alternative glyph shapes for the first four years, then you can develop from there as you wish. Some kids arguably should get more hand-holding in the “develop for yourself” part.

That you didn’t learn it the right way is a thing you can blame on your teachers, but not cursive. Like, I mentioned pencils and fountain pens, ball-point pens are outlawed in schools here: It’s so that kids don’t use pressure, which makes them not tense up and cramp, which makes developing proper technique way easier. Though if the coordination issues are sub-clinical they generally should be sorted out before primary school starts, that’s a job for the kindergarten, making sure that everyone has a proper baseline in physical, social, and language skills.

• Kadaj21@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 days ago

Anyone else play Montezuma’s Revenge or that DOS King Kong game throwing explosive bananas after inputting stuff for height, angle, force?

• borari@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 days ago

AI powered keyboard let’s go. Honestly the amount of typing I’ve been able to cut out by just clicking the ai suggested replies in Teams instead of actually typing something out to respond to my coworkers is pretty high.

• piccolo@ani.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 days ago

Thats largely because 90s software was jank, and the internet exposed all kinds of more jank and viruses… but now, most things just work. Also, most people arent really using desktops, they’re using phones or tablets or game consoles, where the OS is very much locked down.

• barsoap@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 days ago

Software is still jank. Well maybe except zfs and sqlite, but the rest is jank. Also seL4.

• BombOmOm@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 days ago

Yep. And phone typing is the ‘hunt and peck’ method of keyboard typing. Which is unfortunate because it’s ingraining the slowest way to type onto a whole generation.

• Maeve@kbin.earth
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 days ago

Autocorrect begs to differ, usually only when the word is out of my field of vision.

I took typing, on typewriters, but got efficient years later on IRC and ICQ. 60+more wpm. I’m still fairly proficient on a familiar KB too.

• HelloHotel@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 days ago

any good IRC servers left or did it all move to discord? Ive been meaning to get on an IRC server thats not just a mirror of the in-game chat of the game I play.

• EngineerGaming@feddit.nl
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 days ago

Gen Z here, most of my online life is on IRC. Learned about its existence a couple years ago. It is very much alive, although most people left there are at least semi-technical, and I miss the non-technical crowd.

• clif@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 days ago

Slashnet still exists and it’s fairly active depending on the channel. #xkcd was bumping last time I checked my client.

• Maeve@kbin.earth
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 days ago

I don’t know, it was a very long time ago. Maybe do a search, based on your interests?

• mwguy@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 days ago

It works well for casual conversation. But if you’re trying to have a technical conversation it will fail on uncommon or custom words or phrases.

• Altima NEO@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 days ago

Yeah, I’m a swiper myself and I can’t imagine anyone being able to swipe without knowing the keyboard layout like one would for typing.

• snooggums@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 days ago

A swiping motion and muscle memory for tapping are two different things. It took a while to get fast with my thumbs even though I type fairly fast on a keyboard.

• tabular@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 days ago

There’s a mode where you swipe your finger over each letter in order and it auto completes the word. Not sure how often younger people use it (though I wasn’t aware you could do that until I saw someone younger doing it).

• chonglibloodsport@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 days ago

No it’s actually way faster. You can swipe whole words in less than a second. It’s like writing with pen and paper but each letter is actually a whole word.

• grysbok@lemmy.sdf.org
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 days ago

Agreed, it’s pretty great. And while the computer sometimes misunderstands what you swipe, it will show you potential alternatives you can tap on. Like in this screenshot: example of swipe keyboard showing alternative words

• mwguy@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

They also stopped teaching typing in schools. My younger family members never had an computer class or a typing class.

• Ilandar@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

One difference is that the touch-screen typists rely heavily on autocorrect. I don’t think they’re actually as accurate as you think - their spelling and typo errors are being covered up more than yours on the desktop computer.

• yoshisaur@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 days ago

I’m part of Gen Z, and no, we as a generation AREN’T tech savvy. just because we grew up with smart phones does not make us tech savvy. in fact, i actually think it made us dumber with tech. i’m the only one in my school who knows how to use a command line and code (i also use linux as my daily driver). meanwhile everyone else doesn’t even know what a freaking file manager is

• sp3tr4l@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

Millennial here: I think what Gen X and Boomer authors mean when they say ‘GenZ is more tech savvy’ is basically just that they use social media apps on phones and play video games, and that more of their culture derives from such things.

Maybe tech-immersed would be a better term.

As far as actual tech competency goes?

Yeah I agree with you. Phones and apps are generally reliable enough now that there’s far less need to figure out anything under the hood, unlike in my day where you kind of had to learn more about a system to do what is now common, and you had to type on a keyboard.

• EldritchFeminity@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

Another Millennial here, so take that how you will, but I agree. I think that Gen Z is very tech literate, but only in specific areas that may not translate to other areas of competency that are what we think of when we say “tech savvy” - especially when you start talking about job skills.

I think Boomers especially see anybody who can work a smartphone as some sort of computer wizard, while the truth is that Gen Z grew up with it and were immersed in the tech, so of course they’re good with it. What they didn’t grow up with was having to type on a physical keyboard and monkey around with the finer points of how a computer works just to get it to do the thing, so of course they’re not as skilled at it.

• hddsx@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 days ago

Hi, I’m a programmer. Most of my classmates didn’t know how to use Linux.

Now, I’ve realized that newer products are being developed via Visual Studio so……

Linux and command line knowledge aren’t the same as being tech savvy

• yoshisaur@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 days ago

linux can be used through mostly GUI now so i partly agree with you, but installing linux can be quite a hard task for those who aren’t tech savvy. i’m pretty sure being able to do the following can be considered tech savvy:

1. change boot settings
        2. flash an ISO to a USB drive
        3. shrink windows partition into a new one for linux
        4. boot from USB
        5. actually install linux
        6. get used to linux

Edit: the thing is… everyone is so used to things being pre-installed (ie windows/macOS/iOS), being able to download apps easily from the apple App Store. anything even slightly more complicated than that is too hard for them. i’ve had a graphic design class with some people a few years ago and some of them had to ask me for help for how to open a file, save, and export. if something isn’t completely, 100% automated for them, they can’t do it.

• hddsx@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 days ago

Can you not order Ubuntu on a DVD anymore? Also you’re explaining dual boot. You can just single boot linux

• yoshisaur@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 days ago

i’m not sure. most people at my school use a laptop at their main computer, so they couldn’t use an ubuntu DVD anyways. i personally prefer dual boot over single boot

• hddsx@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 days ago

… did everyone remove the media drive off laptops? There are also external media drives.

• pmc@lemmy.blahaj.zone
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 days ago

New laptops don’t have optical drives. I don’t think there’s a single manufacturer that still has them.

Hell, most new computer cases (much to my chagrin) don’t even have 5 1/4" bays.

• emax_gomax@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 days ago

Well installing it. That alone requires a challenge most folks probably couldn’t overcome easily. People are accustomed to just getting a computer with a working os on it. Changing that os would be pretty hard for them.

• doctortran@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 days ago

And let’s be real, you at least need a degree of tech savvy to deal with the inevitable issues that will come up. Even on the simplest distro.

• EngineerGaming@feddit.nl
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 days ago

IDK, only times when I broke things on Debian were when I made the unwise decisions to do things I don’t fully understand (that doesn’t really happen now). And my elderly mom uses Mint with less problems than she did Windows.

• piccolo@ani.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 days ago

Depending on the distro, its generally no harder than windows… infact it probably easier since you dont have to go make an MS account.

• emax_gomax@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 days ago

I mean buying a usb, installing imaging software, not messing up the drive your try to create the installer on. That’s already a lot harder than most tech illiterate people that just need to buy a computer.

• hddsx@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 days ago

It’s a different paradigm for windows users. “Why won’t this exe/msi install on my computer?”

But also, once you realize the unlimited potential to customize it’s pretty special. I, for one, hate using anything without a tiling windows manager.

• hddsx@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 days ago

Red hat based? Install the RPM. Debian based? Install the deb, generally? Install from the repository. You can also install from source if you’d like

• FourPacketsOfPeanuts@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  8 days ago

You don’t generally download the file like you would an exe or MSI on windows. Rather you enter a command line that tells Linux to connect to the repository (like an app store) of that particular type of Linux, pull the latest installation file and install it.

You can still download the file and install it directly, but it’s not a straightforward double click like on windows.

• bane_killgrind@slrpnk.net
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 days ago

Well yeah this is like asking an oboe player how they control pitch, and they respond “different embouchure is the universal way to do it, but adjusting the reed is the best way”

Go look it up if you don’t know what the terms mean

• hddsx@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  8 days ago

Look in the OS provided “App Store” first - GUI or not, your choice.

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Look for a TRUSTED alternative App Store source. Then check the App Store again.

Still can’t find it? Look to see if there is a package available that your OS can recognize (different based on what flavor of Linux you’re running)

Still can’t find it? See if you can find the code to build the dang thing yourself.

• imecth@fedia.io
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 days ago

Installing things on linux is generally the same as phones. There’s a shop-like GUI where you can look up your applications and get them, they’ll also update automatically.

If the software isn’t in your distribution repository, that’s when it starts to be like windows, you need to hunt it down and either get an appimage or something like that, or build and compile it yourself.

• Irremarkable@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

The most common explanation I’ve seen, and imo it makes sense, is that things mostly just work now. Even XP required a helluva lot more troubleshooting and messing with stuff to make it work than today. So you not only have a bunch of people that have no troubleshooting experience, a large portion don’t even know how to properly search for things.

On the flip side, you have a lot more people doing insanely impressive stuff at a lot younger ages because if you have the drive to do it, there’s more material to learn than ever out there.

• kalleboo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

I’m a millennial but I grew up with Macs which mostly just worked, I don’t remember having to do much troubleshooting as a kid.

But for me it was more that there was nothing else to do. You got bored, and messed around with and explored the computer, figuring out what you could make it do. Even once we got internet, it was dialup, so you got online for a bit, checked some things, downloaded some shareware, then disconnected and were stuck with whatever was on the computer again to mess with.

These days the kids have a never-ending social media feed, they have no reason to ever be bored again.

• Ilandar@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 days ago

These days the kids have a never-ending social media feed, they have no reason to ever be bored again.

And yet the evidence seems to suggest that social media has actually increased their boredom. They take fewer risks and try fewer things because the comfort of their doomscrolling feed is always there as a digital pacifier whenever they feel emotionally challenged. In turn, this is contributing to increasing rates of anxiety because these young people are not challenging themselves and learning what they are capable of. Their bodies and brains are being programmed to retreat from problems instead of facing and overcoming them. All of that leads to a life where you’re just not getting out and doing stuff, meeting people or creating memories. That’s a life of boredom.

• General_Effort@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

The boomers had cars and flexed being able to drive stick or know what a carburetor is, unlike those feeble Millennials. They had that greaser subculture. Hmm. I guess that makes the movie Grease the equivalent of War Games or Hackers.

So what is the zoomer thing? What eye-rolling help do they give to doddering old gen-Xers? What will they flex in their old age?

• bebabalula@feddit.dk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 days ago

There’s a common misconception among boomers and gen x that “digital natives” like gen z have a god-given tech proficiency. However, there’s nothing about being born with a smartphone in your hand that teaches you anything about tech.

It’s not like people are getting better at changing oil as car ownership becomes more common, right?

• ulterno@lemmy.kde.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 days ago

I’ve seen people good at typing on a touch screen and they do so, astonishingly well. I myself, am not able to type on touch well enough and just use swype instead (despite the frustration).

• Branquinho@lemmy.eco.br
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

I think “digital naive” is a better phrase than “digital native”. They are born with computers all around them. But most adults forget to / are not able to educate them about technology and their implications.

• Disaster@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

I believe it’s a little more sinister than that. There is less education around these issues because many services have adopted a highly polished, “Walled-Garden” approach to their presentation. This keeps people who’ve grown up with the concepts in their walled garden loyal to that specific service, and makes it difficult for people to dig under the hood and work out how things really function without the sugar coating. They get irritated quickly because they’re used to everything “Just working” and don’t have experience on more open systems.

Therefore, they would like there to be no need for tech education unless you plan on a professional career as a tech.

As long as ownserhip don’t get carried away with enshittification chasing next quarter’s finance call and drive users away by annoying them into putting the extra effort in to learning about alternatives, they could keep it that way forever.

• jj4211@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 days ago

Note that to some extent, this might have been a necessary step in the relative popularity of computing.

Folks remembering how flexible and open ended things were in the 90s were a tiny sliver of the population. At the time about 1% of the world were participating in the internet, now the majority of the population participates on the internet.

I would have loved for the industry to keep up the trends of the 90s (AOL/Prodigy lost out to a federated internet, centralized computing yielded to personal computing) instead of going backwards (enduser devices becoming tethered to internet hosted software, relatively few internet domains and home hosted sites being considered suspicious rather than normal), but this might have just been what it took for the wider population to be able to cope.

• eleitl@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 days ago

I call them digital savages. You wouldn’t ask a jungle tribe about the Krebs cycle either.

• jj4211@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

Gen X and older witnessed a young generation born into kind of working, but kind of janky technology. They saw kids figure out obscure VCR programming interfaces that let the kids record something they wanted, but only by navigating very obtuse interface rendered exclusively with 7 segment displays with a few extra static indicators. A teenager playing that new DOS game, but first they had to struggle with getting the conventional memory, upper memory, EMS/XMS and just the right set of TSRs running, involving mucking about with menu driven config.sys/autoexec.bat tailored for their use cases. Consumer electronics and computers of the time demanded a steep learning curve, but they could still do magic, leading to the trope in the 80s and 90s media of tech wonder kids doing awesome stuff way better than the adults. Even if you have a super advanced submarine and very smart people, you needed your teenager computer kid to outclass everyone.

By now, we’ve made high res touch screens that can be embedded in everything for cheap, and embedded systems that would be the envy of a pretty high end desktop from the year 2000, which was capable of running more friendly operating environments. The rather open ended internet has largely baked in how the participants get to play. The most common devices lock down what the user can do, because the user can’t be trusted not to break themselves with malware.

The end result is that we may have the same proportion of people with the deep technical skills, but a lot of people are now unimpressed. In the mid 90s, less than 1 percent of the population had direct internet experience, and by 2008, 25% had that experience. So even if you still have 1% of really tech savvy people, there’s over 24x as many non savvy people that don’t need to marvel at those savvy people because they are getting about what they want out of it.

• Regrettable_incident@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

Yeah, fair point. My first computer was a Tandy TRS80, followed by a ZX81. You pretty much had to learn BASIC to get them to do anything at all.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 days ago

Oh, I remember my childhood and how everybody (and sadly myself) considered us so knowledgeable because we sit chatting via ICQ, writing stupid shit in forum text RPGs, playing WarCraft III, Perfect World, IL2, KotOR and X-Wing Alliance all day.

• hark@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 days ago

The tech-savvy reputation comes from the “digital native” narrative i.e. because they grew up with computers they must know computers, which is a silly fallacy because how one interacts with technology makes all the difference. It’s the same reason why everyone who grew up with electricity isn’t necessarily an electrician.

• RecluseRamble@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 days ago

Only the early ones. By definition millenials are birth years 1981 to 1996, so the last ones were 11 when the first iPhone released.

I think every generation has their percentage of nerds and that just was a little higher in late Gen X and early millenials because computers were so new and you had to tinker to get anything working.

• vaultdweller013@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

As an older Gen Z, yeah you guys probably have a better grasp on modern tech. Weirdly enough I actually have found that a weirdly high amount of folks my age know old analogue tech better, like vacuum tubes and old cars.

• CaptainEffort@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 days ago

Older gen z here too, born in ‘99, and while I haven’t noticed the analogue thing, I’ve 100% noticed tech illiteracy in general.

Like, I’m talking about having a downloads folder full of junk because they don’t know that that’s where downloads end up. Installers left untouched after programs are installed because they’re worried that deleting the installer will delete the installed program.

Imo being raised with closed ecosystems like iPhones really stunted tech literacy for a lot of people. I grew up jailbreaking my phones and used my parent’s windows pc, so I kind of escaped it.

• vaultdweller013@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 days ago

Yeah im also '99, and the weird analogue thing is probably regional. Yeah I agree that the tech illiteracy comes down largely to closed systems like Iphone, the most tech literate folks I know that are our age were largely on the poorer side of working class. Which makes sense if you are using hand me down tech ya probably will be doing a bit of debugging.

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 days ago

Like, I’m talking about having a downloads folder full of junk because they don’t know that that’s where downloads end up.

Funny enough, at work I’ll often re-download a file if I need it because it’s faster to go to my bookmark, load the page, download the file, and then click on it in my browser’s recent downloads. Windows search is sooooooo absurdly slow.

• Aceticon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

Being a tool user doesn’t make one a tool maker, though having grown up in the days you had to assemble and maintain your own tools does naturally facilitate growing into the latter from the former.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 days ago

In the days of Apple II and similar machines a person who operated a computer knew it, because computers were simpler and because there was no other way and because you’d generally buy a cheaper toy if you didn’t want to learn it.

Also techno-optimism of the 70s viewed the future as something where computers make the average person more powerful in general - through knowing how to use a computer in general, that is, knowing how to write programs (or at least “create” something, like in HyperCard).

That was the narrative consistent with the rest of technology and society of that time, where any complex device would come with schematics and maintenance instructions.

Then something happened - most humans couldn’t keep up with the growing complexity. Something like that happened with me when I went to uni with undiagnosed AuDHD. There was a general path in the future before me - going there and learning there - but I didn’t know how I’m going to do that, and I just tried to persuade myself that I must, it should happen somehow if I do same things others do with more effort. Despite pretense and self-persuasion, I failed then.

It’s similar to our reality. The majority stopped understanding what happens around them, but kept pretending and persuading itself that it’s just them, that the new generation is fine with it all, that they don’t need those things they fail to understand, etc. Like when in class you don’t understand something, but pretend to. All the older generation does that. The younger generation does another thing - they try to ignore parts of the world they don’t understand, like hiding their heads in the sand. Or like a bullied kid just tries not to think about bullies. Or like a person living in a traditionally oppressive state just avoids talking about politics and society.

That narrative has outlived its reality not only with computers.

People are eager to believe in magic. Do you need to know how to cook if you have dinner and breakfast trees (thank you, LF Baum)? So they think we have such trees. It’s an illusion, of course. Very convenient, isn’t it, to make so many industries inaccessible to amateurs.

It’s very simple. There’s such a thing as “too complex”. The tower of Babel is one fitting metaphor.

You don’t need this complexity in an AK rifle. Just like that, you don’t need it in an analog TV. And in a digital TV you need much less complexity too. We don’t have it in our boots - generally. We don’t have it in our shirts. Why would we have it in things with main functionality closer to them in complexity than to SW combat droids?

I think Stanislaw Lem called this a “combinatoric explosion” when predicting it in one of his essays.

• ShepherdPie@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 days ago

I’d also argue that your WPM typed on a keyboard doesn’t make you tech-savvy either. 1950s secretaries could type fast on a typewriter and that didn’t make them tech savvy either.

• BreadstickNinja@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 days ago

There are a wide range of computer skills. Being able to interact with a word processor extremely efficiently is a highly valuable tech skill. Someone who knows about processor architecture but can’t touch type is arguably more tech-savvy but also less useful in most office jobs. So I’d say that the secretaries were indeed tech-savvy in a way that was useful for their positions.

• masterofn001@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 days ago

I don’t even know how fast I can type on a phone.

Even with word completion I find myself hesitating between the choice of word or typing it out.

I know it’s not near as fast as on a physical keyboard where is used to be around 90-120 wpm if I remember correctly. (Been a while since I had to do that at an employment agency)

Anyway, it’d be fun to see a thumbs only tiktok/Snapchat typer vs a mechanical typewriter type off.

And, tbf, most people are far from tech savvy.

Most are consumers. Some are really good consumers. Some are power users. Some know how to do things.

Very few actually understand it.

But, there was a time where there was indeed a necessity if you used the tech, you had to understand it.

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 days ago

It’s a pretty good indicator. If you spend all day working with computers chances are you’ll be able to type quickly

• Drusas@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 days ago

I taught a bunch of Gen Zers back when they were in high school. None of them knew how to type well, and it was a rarity that any of them knew how to type at all. I was supposed to teach them things like Microsoft Office, but we had to start with typing and basic PC usage before we could move on to something as complicated as MS Word.

This is what happens when people don’t use computers and instead just use cell phones.

• Time@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 days ago

It’s pretty messed up that schools enforce those things onto kids. Chromebooks, while cheap, invade the hell out of your privacy and are extremely restrictive. We should be teaching kids GNU/Linux, not ChromeOS… I honestly feel sorry for the future of free software. Students aren’t taught ethics, freedom, or privacy at ALL. I was in school, (graduated two years ago), and it seemed that every teacher adapted the “you don’t have privacy” motto. Absolutely terrible. Buy the kids a Dell Latitude E6400 and put Libreboot/Trisquel with KDE on it. Let them live and help each other out with issues. It would be super heart warming to see schools adapt something like this instead.

(I understand the convenience issues, but we should start adapting, its crazy that Gen Z barely know anything about computers)

• prosp3kt@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 days ago

What tech savvy reputation? They doesn’t even know what a system file structure is. Neither the article writer, social media =/= tech-savvy.

• vrighter@discuss.tchncs.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 days ago

but gen z is not tech savvy. They can use a browser. and watch youtube. They never advance past that stage

• foremanguy@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

I think for the most part they are just “good” at using mainstream social medias nothing really more

• CosmoNova@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

You would think they know how to use a browser but in reality they only use apps. TikTok being their preferred search engine speaks volumes.

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 days ago

Man look at millennials turning into boomers at record pace

“back in my day we did things properly, now all these damn kids… etc etc”

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 days ago

it’s not becoming boomers. It’s about rarely meeting one who knows that, for example, wifi is not the internet. I’m not asking for detailed tech knowledge. But getting a blank face if asked something as simple as “where did you save the file?” or replying with “in the gallery/google photos” means you are not tech savvy. these are the absolute basics.

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 days ago

What’s your sample size, do you actually talk to many gen z

If you asked them where they saved a photo on a smartphone they’re not going to tell you a filepath because that’s not how people use smartphones. I probably couldn’t tell you where photos are stored physically on my phone without going out of my way to find that info

Also Google photos is a valid answer to that question because the file is saved in Google photos, just because it’s cloud storage doesn’t make it not storage. In that case local storage is basically just a cache anyway

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 days ago

because that’s not how a phone is used.

But it is how any phone/desktop/laptop pollworks. So you’re proving my point. Most can’t even tell if the file they want is on the device in the first place, if they use stuff like cloud backups. To those people, the file is “in google”. Not tech savvy

• jet@hackertalks.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 days ago

Yes.

Calling GenZ tech savvy for always using a cell phone is like calling grandma a mathematician because she spends all day at the slot machine.

• sunzu2@thebrainbin.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 days ago

Boomers go confused when gen y switch to gen z and forget to get updated script from cable teeeveee

• foremanguy@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 days ago

The boomers says that to them but that’s really not true, this day this generation is less and less “tech savvy”, they’re just good at using the basic way social media