Exclusive analysis finds the rate of maternal deaths in Texas increased 56% from 2019 to 2022, compared with just 11% nationwide during the same time period.

The number of women in Texas who died while pregnant, during labor or soon after childbirth skyrocketed following the state’s 2021 ban on abortion care — far outpacing a slower rise in maternal mortality across the nation, a new investigation of federal public health data finds.

From 2019 to 2022, the rate of maternal mortality cases in Texas rose by 56%, compared with just 11% nationwide during the same time period, according to an analysis by the Gender Equity Policy Institute. The nonprofit research group scoured publicly available reports from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and shared the analysis exclusively with NBC News.

“There’s only one explanation for this staggering difference in maternal mortality,” said Nancy L. Cohen, president of the GEPI. “All the research points to Texas’ abortion ban as the primary driver of this alarming increase.”

“Texas, I fear, is a harbinger of what’s to come in other states,” she said.

🗳️ Register to vote: https://vote.gov/

• schizo
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

I think there’s been some confusion here. They’re pro-life, but only their life. For everyone else, you get a thought and maybe a prayer and a “well, it must have been god’s will”.

• Diplomjodler@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

Wrong. They’re pro death. Be it reproductive healthcare, healthcare in general, law enforcement, gun control, environmental policy, you name it. Every single one of their policies is designed to get people killed.

• schizo
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

So as someone who grew up in a very very Republican family, that’s only half true.

They’re not pro-life or anti-life, they’re sublimely indifferent because they’re certain they’re immune to the consequences.

They’re not going to have a pregnancy that risks the life of their wife. They’re not going to end up unemployed and without health insurance. They’re not going to get arrested for a crime. They’re not going to have a shooting kill their kid. And so on.

It’s a weird mix between ostrich syndrome and just plain denial of reality: they live in a zone where nothing bad will happen to them, but on the off chance it does, it happened because they deserved it.

Being republican requires a lot of the same worldview that being abused by a narcissist requires, which makes the fact Trump is STILL popular a lot easier to understand, IMO.

And, to make it worse, even if a horrible thing happens, they’ll STILL refuse to change their views, because well, what are the odds it’d ever happen again? They’re sure it won’t, so they’re safe.

As a far too personal experience, my 13 year old cousin got his uncle’s gun, and ended up shooting and killing himself accidentally.

Now you, a normal rational person, might go ‘holy fuck! we shouldn’t have guns left laying around where any kids could possibly ever get them!’, and I’d agree.

I’ll let you guess exactly what the rest of my family did, instead.

You can’t change their minds, because you cannot argue against blind faith that nothing bad will happen, or at least it won’t happen twice.

So yeah, their policies will kill lots of people, but it won’t kill their family, so that’s not even a factor in their thinking because you don’t matter to them.

• schizo
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

It’s the only actually consistent thing they do.

Evangelicals are big into the redemptive suffering bit, so making their own lives miserable at least aligns with their stated beliefs. (Nothing else does, though.)