Hi everyone,

As in the title, I would start to learn how to design models for 3D printing and the basics about 3D printing, but I’m a total noob.

Do you have any suggestions about where to start?

Thanks everybody

• LukeSky@lemmy.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into Tinkercad for starting.

Actually I don’t have any printer and I really don’t know where to start looking at. Thanks again

• moody@lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 hours ago

What is your goal for 3D printing? Are you looking to print random knick knacks, functional prints, or just experiment?

Printers vary a lot in what they can do and their user-friendliness. You can go from simpler, almost plug and play models to more complex ones that require much more tinkering. They also vary a lot in price from a few hundred to thousands of dollars.

• LukeSky@lemmy.mlOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 hours ago

Thank you! I would like to print little cartoon characters for decorative cakes. I can’t find them on the web so I was thinking that I could make them.

• madnificent@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          16 hours ago

I have chosen all the different things in 3D printing than what you need. This is big picture.

Most 3d prints are not food safe, but I guess that’s no big deal for decorative cakes. It is possible to make food safe prints.

A resin printer will give smoother results for what I’ve seen but it is more messy with respect to material handling. This is probably what you should do in your case if you know you can handle less safe materials and ventilate correctly.

The most common 3D printers deposit molten plastic. These are less messy but will yield less details. You can endlessly tweak and modify them.

For modeling cartoon characters I would learn Blender.

From Blender export to Cura for slicing into layers and commands the printer understand. Others exist, I doubt Cura does resin printers.

• LukeSky@lemmy.mlOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 hours ago

Ok, thank you very much. These prints will be used only to decore cakes and those cakes are only for photos and not meant to be eaten. So I will check Blender, do you have any suggestion from where to start (any YouTube channel, books, courses or guides)? And then Cura. Thank you again!