I figure this would be a good place to ask. Im not paranoid but I say a ton of stupid stuff on the Internet. It’s fun having conversations with total strangers after work 😁. Anyway, I was thinking. Could I keep a level of anonymity if I just created new accounts every month for example? Is that a thing people use? Like every month you just abandon your bs account and get a completely new account on google. Google specifically since they are the assholes that keep selling our data.

• shortwavesurfer@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 hours ago

I haven’t had a Google account for over a year and a half now and I stopped primarily using the one I did have in 2019 and would only log into it like once a year.

• werefreeatlast@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

I tried self hosting my own email. I was successful but a little weary of how unreliable my own set up was. But also I got to see just how stupid stupid the email system is. Like it was genius stuff when it first came out but knowing what we know now there’s this digital aura of just stupid. Examples:

1. Only big companies can host email. Due to all the attacks. That’s fucking stupid.

2. literally anyone can intercept your email and read it if it’s not encrypted. Nobody encrypts email.

3. your email receiving system must be on or you will miss the email.

And it just keeps getting stupider and stupider from there. And here, I’m using the word stupid in a similar context as one laughs when someone talks about using asbestos for a whole new application. If a dog could laugh at that, he would.

Anyway, so here we are, a big ass company has 15Gb worth of emails from most everyone and we can’t easily stop using the system because everyone else is using it. I got me a proton account too. But it really not the direction I want to take anymore I think.

Ideally I would keep using email for work until it folds over but then personally I would find a different, safer, more modern way to communicate with others. Much like here but with the same ability of sending larger files like zip, photos etc.

• schizo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 hours ago

Depends who you’re trying to avoid.

Some downvote brigade on Lemmy? sure.

One of the major databrokers? Probably not.

Google and Meta and such don’t even need you to have an account to build accurate profiles and track you everywhere, so making a new Google account will almost certainly not buy you any real privacy: Google will just add your new account to your profile and keep right on selling your shit.

• LunchMoneyThief@links.hackliberty.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

Google and Meta and such don’t even need you to have an account to build accurate profiles and track you everywhere

This is true if one does nothing. It takes a lot of work but it is indeed possible to starve them of your data.

• ladfrombrad 🇬🇧@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 hours ago

Google will just add your new account to your profile and keep right on selling your shit.

This is exactly why I used a pseudonym from the outset.

• dylanmorgan@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 hours ago

From what I understand it doesn’t matter, that’s just a label they assign to all the data they have about you. Attaching all of that to your real name is trivial once they have the profile.

• ladfrombrad 🇬🇧@lemdro.id
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 hours ago

Exactly, that’s why anything I do with my real name is on my wholly separate profile / device / email.

It’s a boring computer that has my real name on it.

• gdog05@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 hours ago

On the internet, no one knows you’re a dog. Except for Meta, Alphabet, Russia, China, Israel, the NSA and your ISP. But no one else knows

• toothbrush@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    14 hours ago

Tor if you dont want your fediverse server + ISP to know who you are on the fediverse. Other than that, fediverse people are not likely to use google trackers, so you should be safe without having to make new accounts constantly. Noscript for all other websites, gets rid of trackers very effectively, but a bit annoying because you have to whitelist the javascript you need.

• thelittleblackbird@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 hours ago

You need to start reducing your fingerprint on internet.

The only reliable way to do so is selfhosting your stuff.

There are a few communities here in lemmy, so check on them

• thelittleblackbird@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 hour ago

Then follow that path, once you are comfortable with the approach you can start hosting more and more services,to the point that you can selfhost your own messenger services or ms teams services.

Once you are in that situation, you can think in accounts rotation and/or burner identities to address the services you can not pull from the big techs