I tired Linux a few times in the past, but didn’t really start using seriously until 2019. I love poking around old OSs and distros, and I want to spin a few up in some VMs my next free evening.

Any suggestions? Open to any distro (or let’s be honest, DE). Any versions that holds a special place in your heart or that’s exceptionally novel? Really interested to see what’s out there!

• My first distribution was Slackware 7.1 when I was in high school. It took a week to download the .iso on dialup, and I had to use a download manager (GetRight) so that I could resume the partial download any time the connection dropped (usually because someone had to use the phone).

I’m old o_o

I still vividly remember not being able to figure out how to install new packages, or knowing how to compile from source.

• SeikoAlpinist@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    23 days ago
    • ZenWalk was unique and great about 15 years ago as an easy Slackware with minimalist install.
    • Chakra Linux was an Arch+KDEmod distro that kind of went away.
    • Bodhi Linux has its own desktop called Moksha.
    • There is a GNUstep Live CD that comes out every few years, based on Debian. It is a unique setup from a time when the future of computing was promising. I think it is distributed on LinuxQuestions or some other forum.
    • There was a distro called gOS about 15 years ago that used a lot of desktop widgets and Google apps. Their business model was basically, “We are going to re-skin Ubuntu and call it gOS and hope Google buys us.” It did not work out.
    • Darwin was upstream for macOS and for many years, there was a community of users who would port the traditional *NIX stack to it. Xorg, traditional window managers, a ports system, etc.
    • Frugalware Linux was well polished and kind of a spiritual successor to Zenwalk.
    • openSUSE 10.3 had the most beautiful Gnome setup. It was unique in that it had a single panel, a modified Clearlooks theme, and a Vista-style start menu.
    • OpenSolaris likewise had a very unique and beautiful look, with its macOS-inspired Nimbus theme. I think this was the best looking theme of that era.
    • SimplyMEPIS was my first Linux on a T61. I had used FreeBSD for the decade prior. I don’t know what was better about SimplyMEPIS than Debian, nor do I know what SimplyMEPIS meant versus regular MEPIS. It’s kind of like Claws Mail and Sylpheed Claws. Some times we just throw words together and give it an icon and there it is.

I used all of these at some point.

• Handles@leminal.space
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    25 days ago

I’m still nostalgic for CrunchBang, and I continue to use OpenBox with any distro I try… Keep your DEs, I’m good 😄

• spicy pancake@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

CrunchBang was my jam in late high school. I couldn’t believe how much more lightweight it was compared to Lubuntu, which had been my main for years due to having a potato laptop

• Handles@leminal.space
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

Right? Those terrible low-spec, off-the-shelf laptops can really cook with Openbox on a Linux distro.

• spicy pancake@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        25 days ago

I respect Bunsenlabs for lacking the chaotic instability that I loved to hate about Crunchbang in high school, and which I hate to wish I could love as a busy adult requiring a stable system…

• BOFH666@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      26 days ago

Gonna recommend this to all my co workers.

It is not vulnerable to Windows viruses.

:-)

• Notorious@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    26 days ago

I booted a VM with BeOS for nostalgia a couple months ago. Remember booting that as a kid and drooling over how fast it was.

• LeFantome@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

Uninstalled this recently as well. It is surprisingly slick for the time and way more modern feeling than you would expect.

Linux was just not corporate enough for it at the time.

In a different timeline….

• lemmyvore@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    26 days ago

Red Hat used to be a really solid choice for desktop back in the 90s and early 2000s. Some milestone releases:

• 6.2 was the first version to put up ISO images for install. This is the one to get if you really want a blast from the past (early version of anaconda installer, ext2, LILO bootloader, Linux 2.2, Gnome 1 etc.)
    • 7.3 was the last version to come with the Netscape browser.
    • 9.0 was the last version before they split into Fedora and RHEL. It’s the last and most mature desktop release of that era, included the “Bluecurve” unified look and feel introduced in 8.0 but had bugfixed versions of KDE and Gnome.
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      24 days ago

What do you mean 6.2 was the first version to put up ISO images for install? I installed 5.2 from ISO not long ago. I have installed 4.2 in the past.

I think it was 4.2 that came with the “awesome” window manager.

• lemmyvore@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

Before 6.2 you had to get them on actual CDs which wasn’t an option in many places. Starting with 6.2 they put them online on FTP.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

I may be remembering wrong but I am sure I got CD images off FTP for earlier versions as well.

I have been downloading Linux since grabbing floppy images of SLS, used Red Hat for years, and do not remember having more than one version on actual CD that I did not burn myself ( for sure never DVD ).