link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

The ending to any movie where the good guy tears through an army of bad guys just to spare the main bad guy.

Kill em. Don’t just kill em but drag it out. This person made you angry enough to kill a hundred people. There’s no reason whatsoever you wouldn’t take out every last bit of rage on them. Even after they’re dead. Paste that mfer.

• DaGeek247@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Spoilers, just by mentioning names, frankly, but y’all should’ve known that going into this thread.

The Archer TV series does this a lot, but

Season 11, Episode 7 personifies mocking this trope.

Mystery men (1999)

also caught me off guard with how many people died.

• MrJameGumb@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. I would probably have to just rewrite the entire movie.

• MrJameGumb@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I thought the first one was alright. The second one seemed to have it’s moments but was overall underwhelming. Rise of Skywalker was so bad I couldn’t even finish it. It was a good year before I could force myself to sit through to the end… I think my breaking point was when I realized every time they got into trouble Rey would suddenly “discover” she had a new superpower that has never even been mentioned before

• Ænima@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

How was the first one alright? Not attacking, just curious.

To me, it came off as just a more infantile version of A New Hope.

Example 1: Darth Vader gets pissed and dudes get choked to death, even through video chat. Kylo gets pissed off and makes life hell for some IT guy by trashing his computer.

Example 2: Why build a moon-sized space station that blows up one planet, when you can make a planet-sized space station that can blow up 7?

I mean, I get the appeal of the explosions and effects and stuff, but in terms of story, it was just the same, but with none of the payoff of the original story. They even tried to steal the big reveal of the relationship between Vader and Luke by revealing the relationship between Kylo and Leia/Han.

Edit: And I totally agree with the Rey issue. I guess that’s called a Mary Sue in writing.

• MrJameGumb@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

By “alright” I suppose I mean it was the least objectionable of the three… I didn’t have any major issues with it other than it was kind of boring and seemed like it was a little too reliant on nostalgia instead of doing anything that was really new or innovative in any way. I watched it, I didn’t hate it, but I haven’t felt any great urge to ever watch it again.

• Ænima@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Got it. Thanks for the reply. Ya know, thinking back, I have to agree. Of the three newest films, it was the most enjoyable. But oh man, I almost walked out of the theater when they were having to arch laser shots in space like there was air resistance or something. On par with the snake in Harry Potter that winked. Snakes don’t have eyelids!

• toddestan@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

I’d rewrite the ending of The Force Awakens so that they don’t destroy Starkiller Base at the end. Instead they’d just damage it heavily or somehow disable it. A victory for the rebels, but now we have a story for the next movies.

Then the second movie would then have to be rewritten to be about the First Order trying to repair Starkiller Base, perhaps they need some rare resource or something, and the rebels are trying to stop them. We get a bunch of space battles and AT-AT walkers and stuff.

The third movie would then also have to be rewritten. The First Order has got the thing working again, so the rebellion would get to destroy it for good this time. More space battles, lightsaber fights, and big explosions.

Really, the problem the sequel trilogy had is that they didn’t know what to do with it. The Force Awakens ended up as a soft reboot of A New Hope, which is why we got a third Deathstar. But then they blow it up at the end of the first movie, which puts them in a bind as now they really don’t know what to do with the next two movies. What now, a fourth Deathstar? At least this would give some sort of overarching story for the trilogy, rather than the making-it-up-as-we-go mess that we ended up with.

• UKFilmNerd@feddit.ukM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Really, the problem the sequel trilogy had is that they didn’t know what to do with it. The Force Awakens ended up as a soft reboot of A New Hope, which is why we got a third Deathstar. But then they blow it up at the end of the first movie, which puts them in a bind as now they really don’t know what to do with the next two movies. What now, a fourth Deathstar? At least this would give some sort of overarching story for the trilogy, rather than the making-it-up-as-we-go mess that we ended up with.

Yeah, it’s quite clear no one planned out a story arc for the trilogy and it suffered greatly because of it. I really like The Force Awakens and I bought The Last Jedi for £1 to almost complete the set. I’m waiting to find Rise of Skywalker in a charity shop for 50p to compete the set, don’t know if I’ll watch it again though. 😄

• ch00f@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Don’t Look Up: have the plan to privatize the asteroid defense operation actually work. The people refusing to look up think they were right and refuse to acknowledge how much danger they were in. So even if the world is saved, no lessons are learned and nothing is made better.

Feel like that would fit the climate change/COVID metaphor better.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

How would that fit the climate change metaphor? That implies we are actually fixing climate change.

• WanderingVentra@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Ya that would make it closer to something like the Ozone layer problem. But even then, I think that was fixed with government regulations, not privatizing things.

• ch00f@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Because the fix in the movie is really a bandaid. It was provided by a private party for profit, and next time if it’s not profitable, it won’t work.

I mean, it’s not like individual people can stop a doomsday asteroid, so the metaphor kind of breaks anyway. But there is a bit of an assumption in the environmental sense that technology will somehow solve our problems when the real problem is us.

The ozone problem only got fixed because in that case there was a 1:1 replacement to the offending technology. There isn’t a 1:1 replacement to fossil fuels. It will almost certainly require some kind of societal change.

• WanderingVentra@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

The best example of a movie I have on that I mostly enjoyed except the ending is Wonder Woman.

They could keep the CGI-filled studio mandated fight if they want, but then make Diana realize it’s not making both sides stop fighting each other. They just keep on going.

Here’s a how I would do it without any further thought but the 30 seconds I spent writing this comment: There’s a zoom in on Aries as he laughs, telling her he told her so, it wasn’t him, before he disappears, saying he’ll return, empowered by the endless war of humans. Diana realizes she can’t punch her way out of this one, and she’ll have to use love (it’s a classic WW theme), love for humans to make them see the love for each other. Love isn’t easy, it takes time. So she’s going to have to stick around in the world and fight the long fight, this won’t be a single villain she can kick the butt of.

Idk, something like that. Point is, the whole end fight scene shouldn’t imply war is caused by a single evil Greek god.

• toddestan@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

A.I., the 2001 movie.

David (the robot kid) is trapped underwater repeatedly asking the statue to make him a real boy. His batteries eventually run out and everything goes dark. Tragic. Credits roll.

Everything that happened after that in the actual movie involving the far future with the aliens or whatever that was ends up on the editing room floor.

• Aussiemandeus@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Really, I’ve never seen movie that end like that.

I would really have liked Hardcore Henry to end abruptly with us just meant to assume he was shot and died

• apotheotic (she/her)@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Not quite changing the ending per se, but I hope you’ll permit me to share a really fun rearranging concept of a particularly mediocre sci fi flick Passengers. It shifts the viewer’s perspective to that of Jennifer Lawrence’s character, and drastically changes the tone in doing so. I find it very compelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gksxu-yeWcU

• norimee@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I feel bad about it, but I find myself more and more often wishing a main character would die in die end, because I’m tired of all these forced happy endings and how the main character is somehow always the one that miraculously comes away unscathed.

• jws_shadotak@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The Whale has a terrible ending

spoiler

He tries walking for his estranged, newly connected daughter and in this huge climactic moment he’s having a heart attack and then he just looks up and goes “UHH” and that’s the end. That’s it. Look up -> UHH -> end.

I think a better ending would be him ::: spoiler spoiler having the heart attack ::: and then dying slowly in the hospital with some kind of heartfelt conversation with his daughter and then die.

• jwing@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Well, somebody already posted my choice which would be episodes 7, 8, and 9, so I’m going with the next thing that popped into my head and ignore part of the question and that this is a movies sub.

With that said, my answer is How I Met Your Mother, because it still angers and disappoints me years after watching the show. Fuck you writers, it’s not all about Robin. Such a legend - wait for it - dary show ruined right at the end.

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The Fantastic Voyage. Or Journey. I forget the name. It’s a movie where they shrink a submarine down and put it inside someone to do surgery. Pretty neat premise. Like a lot of older movies the ending is flat. It ends the moment they get the submarine out of the body. It would’ve been nice to have them make it large again and exit and show the person waking up. Imagine if Star Wars ended the moment the Death Star exploded or Return of the King the moment the ring is destroyed. Those are the best comparisons I can make to what this feels like.

Also, I’d change Encanto so the family doesn’t get their powers back.

• The Cuuuuube@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I would change the end of Chinatown. It would no longer mention Chinatown. My goal is not to make the movie better. Just it infuriate people more

• I Cast Fist@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Star Wars Return of the Jedi

Luke dies but still manages to kill the Emperor, the Rebels fail at destroying Death Star 2 Electric Boogaloo because Han dies and Leia ends captured, thus the shield generator is never destroyed and no run towards the core happens. Vader survives, crowning himself the new emperor. This immediately fixes the sequel trilogy by making it null and void

• Tiltinyall@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Really trying to bait Star wars fans aren’t you? By sequel trilogy do you mean the same trilogy RoTJ is in? If so, how does Vader winning over the empire complete the series?

• I Cast Fist@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

By sequel trilogy do you mean

The Disney trilogy

how does Vader winning over the empire complete the series?

It doesn’t, that’s the whole point. Vader becomes the most powerful bad guy in the galaxy and still has a planet destroying superweapon at his service.