• Cyclist@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    12 days ago

Was there a point to Tom Bombadil? All I really remember was that he helped the hobbits escape the. And I’m not even 100% sure about that. Also that Gandolf said he might go visit him at the end of the book. Was there some important part about it I missed?

• RuBisCO@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 days ago

He could wear the one ring and remain unaffected by it, laughed at it even. Then he could make the ring vanish and bring it back at will.

He seemed unconcerned by the war, almost as if he knew of and had seen wars greater and far more terrible. Yet he had chosen a side and was willing to provide what aid he could.

He was Doolittle to all lifeforms, his songs tranquilized ancient evils, and he could be called upon at long range to swiftly respond.

His very existence suggested fundamental mysteries about the world; old and powerful.

Bombadil, moreso than Strider, was the embodiment of strong, old roots not withering, remaining out of reach of the frost. Old roots that could reason with willows and wights.

• IMALlama@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 days ago

Not that I remember, which is probably the reason why it was cut from the film. There is a lot of activity around him and the area around his house in the books, but it’s more side quest than main quest.

• JackGreenEarth@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      12 days ago

It was just a relaxing, peaceful section of the narrative, which the film could have done with more of.