• FuzzyRedPanda@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Genuine question: considering cats can be picky eaters, do you happen to know how anyone currently gets cats to eat a vegan alternative diet?

• hamid 🏴@vegantheoryclub.orgOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I know a few people actually. Benovo seems to be the most popular brand. The fact is most cat food is already 80% plant ingredients with some industrially processed meat products added in. This stuff is already extremely unhealthy for cats. I had cats before I went vegan who ate the highest quality cat food I could afford and that they would eat called “science diet” and they got diabetes and died on the younger side for cats. This is with what people think is appropriate now. I do think much more research needs to go into alternatives because no matter what we want unsustainable activities can’t be sustained so the cheap and subsidized meat calories will end and what we are currently doing doesn’t work either. I don’t really believe there is a difference on a chemical level if you match the nutritional needs with plant based chemicals or animal derived chemicals I don’t believe it makes some spiritual difference related to the obligate carnivore status of an animal.