link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I would rather every factory farm be shut down immediately and all animal agriculture stopped. Two wrongs don’t make a right, anyone supporting factory farming in any way is doing something morally and ethically abhorrent.

Cats should be fed a vegan diet by sanctuaries, humans can’t be trusted with them, most animals despite how much people claim to love their pets on line treat their animals like shit, like everything in their lives.

• hamid 🏴@vegantheoryclub.orgOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

… what, all the evidence is that you can feed them a vegan alternative diet and they are as healthy or more healthy. “obligate carnivore” means nothing in this context, they also don’t all live in the middle of the Anatolian desert either.

See, the thing is about unsustainable activities means they can’t be sustained. The way we produce meat for these “obligate carnivores” and yourself will collapse if you want it to or not, so its better to find the alternatives now then to stay stupid shit like “Cats are obligate carnivores…” with no information or substance to your claim.

• FuzzyRedPanda@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Genuine question: considering cats can be picky eaters, do you happen to know how anyone currently gets cats to eat a vegan alternative diet?

• hamid 🏴@vegantheoryclub.orgOPM
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              2 months ago

I know a few people actually. Benovo seems to be the most popular brand. The fact is most cat food is already 80% plant ingredients with some industrially processed meat products added in. This stuff is already extremely unhealthy for cats. I had cats before I went vegan who ate the highest quality cat food I could afford and that they would eat called “science diet” and they got diabetes and died on the younger side for cats. This is with what people think is appropriate now. I do think much more research needs to go into alternatives because no matter what we want unsustainable activities can’t be sustained so the cheap and subsidized meat calories will end and what we are currently doing doesn’t work either. I don’t really believe there is a difference on a chemical level if you match the nutritional needs with plant based chemicals or animal derived chemicals I don’t believe it makes some spiritual difference related to the obligate carnivore status of an animal.

• november@lemmy.vg
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Animals need nutrients. Their bodies don’t care where those nutrients came from. Every nutrient cats need except taurine can be sourced from plants, and taurine can be synthesized in a laboratory.