Bottom Line

The only purported evidence for the claim that Khelif is trans comes from an undisclosed test performed by an allegedly corrupt sports governing body that may have shown she has a DSD condition. The IOC has said Khelif meets its requirements for participation, with Adams, the IOC spokesman, specifically clarifying, “This is not a transgender issue.”

Because Khelif is not transgender, claims attempting to make her victory against Carini an issue about transgender rights or “woke” politics are without basis.

• psvrh@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Take a page from the Democrats’ current tactics: “what is it with you people and genitalia?”

Don’t engage in debate, because that just implies their position is worthy of it. Ridicule them at every turn.

• Phoenicianpirate@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

No they won’t. You assume they are legitimately trying to base their beliefs and arguments in some factuality. Once they get the idea that something is what they think it is then they will never budge from it.

In the past they used to make claims about being rational and dispassionate and using facts over feels. But none of that was ever true. Rationality is not a process to them, to them it is a trait like eye color. They believe their beliefs are rational because they are inherently rational and therefore if you argue against them, you are being irrational by default.

In their minds Khelif is transgender and there us nothing you can say that’ll convince them otherwise.

They also have a tendency to create definitions for things that are otherwise not defined as such. For example they might start to label any woman that doesn’t behave or look exactly as they want a woman to behave or look as transgender no matter how straight and cisgender they are.

• feedum_sneedson@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I am not exposed to right-wing media, which means I am only hearing the left screech about it. Sounds like a total non-story, though.

• Optional@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Well dang. It seems like corporate news could have done this right off the bat.

FOR SOME REASON they didn’t. Huh. Weird.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Men when they’re abnormally good compared to their peers: Wow, amazing!

Women when they’re abnormally good compared to their peers: She’s a man!

• TheKingBee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

She’s not even abnormally good, she is good, but not impossibly dominant like some like Phelps.

• BigMacHole@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

IF YOU HAVE A VAGINA YOU’RE A WOMAN! It would be REALLY WEIRD if Republicans DIDN’T agree with that Statement anymore considering all the Legislation regarding Youth Genitalia they’ve been Passing!

• crusa187@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Republicans are just so obsessed with people’s genitalia, it’s honestly quite weird.

• Crampon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

If its not, the competition should be non gendered then.

If someone transitions late in life it is unfair for other competitors.

See how under age boys compete vs. Adult women in different running sports.

It’s just not fair for the women since birth to compete with someone who had an unfair biological advantage to begin with. We have empirical evidence to back it up.

But I guess that’s just a dumb opinion.

• Crikeste@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Maybe not to you and me. If this is how they react to lies, imagine if it was the truth. It’s fuckin’ scary.

• UncleArthur@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

No-one is saying she’s trans. She is, however, chromosomally male (DSD), which is the issue under debate.

• m-p{3}@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

There are genetic conditions, termed differences of sexual development, in which biological females are born with XY chromosomes but possess female anatomy

Though there is no independent confirmation that Khelif has these conditions, people born this way would legally be considered female or intersex.

• Unruffled [he/him]@lemmy.dbzer0.comOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

You mustn’t have read the article. There is zero proof of that, just a half-baked claim with no proof to back it up, from the corrupt and sanctioned International Boxing Association (IBA). Women really shouldn’t have to their genitals or chromosomes inspected just to prove they are a ‘real’ woman, just because some arsehole thinks they don’t look feminine enough.

• NoiseColor@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

So:

• iba is wrong and corrupt,

• the tests were fake and even if they weren’t they shouldn’t even be done

• everyone who thinks she looks very atypical for a woman and very typical for a man is wrong

• if anyone doesn’t agree with you, they are an “arshole”

Brilliant! Bravo!

• EpeeGnome@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Unironically, yes, that is a decent summary of the situation. I mean your last bullet wasn’t in the article and is somewhat subjective, but…

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

Ok. Wow. You really don’t see how you look like, claiming this?

I mean if nothing else, you look like the “arshole” in the situation .

• EpeeGnome@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

So, the test administered by the IBA was “We can’t tell you, it’s proprietary” and the results of the test were “Trust me bro, she failed,” and now this supposed test result is being used by people to jump to conclusions about her appearance and to try and drag her down just to make a rallying point in arguments about sex and gender in sports. Sorry if people blatantly ignoring how flimsy their evidence is so they can make a point by accusing some athlete of being really a male led me to make my own uncouth assumptions about the personality of someone who would hold such a view.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                1 month ago

So you had no thought about iba not releasing the full tests to protect the athlete?

You are jumping to conclusion that it’s all a big conspiracy against this athlete. That sounds unlikely to me.

Also, you accuse me of using this situation as some kind of rallying cry and I will assume everyone that is not 100% in line with what you think. I was banned from another community just by saying that there is an issue in woman sports by individuals with certain conditions and that it should be addressed. Who is in total mob mode here? Not even a mention of discussion is allowed.

• acosmichippo@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  1 month ago

So you had no thought about iba not releasing the full tests to protect the athlete?

You are jumping to conclusion that it’s all a big conspiracy against this athlete. That sounds unlikely to me.

Are you aware of the circumstances around the decision, the IBA being banned for having a long history of shadiness, and only failing this woman as soon as she beat a Russian? I suppose the IOC could all be conspiracy theorists too…

• Prandom_returns@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

…says the person downvoted to ovlivion for being an arsehole.

Some people… How can you be so… unaware.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

Whether you’re an asshole or not absolutely depends on the opinion of others, not your own.

Again… Fucking unaware of your surroundings.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago
          1. Correct, with proof.
          2. Correct, see bullet point 1.
          3. There’s nothing that describes a “typical woman” or “typical man”.
          4. Correct, I think the actual term is a “bigot”.
    • Bassman1805@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Not even. The IBA never clarified what test she supposedly failed, they just randomly disqualified her and never explained why.

And yes, TONS of people are claiming she’s trans.

• Plum@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Quillette?

Never heard of it.

It has been described as libertarian-leaning,[2][3][4] “the right wing’s highly influential answer to Slate”[5] as well as an “anti-PC soapbox.”[6]

• ArbitraryValue@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

That doesn’t make it wrong in this specific case or even necessarily less trustworthy in the general case. The Wall Street Journal is generally considered a conservative-leaning newspaper but their reporting is very reliable.

• Plum@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

We’re at a point where vetting news corps is an important step in wading through disinformation and vitriol.

• Eldritch@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

Reliably conservative? Sure. Reliably factual. Eeeeeeh, that’s stretching a bit.

• Eldritch@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

Trusting it is just as much being in a partisan bubble. I don’t trust any of them honestly. Any corporately owned media I automatically have a bias against. And that’s not a bad thing. Because I know what their bottom line is and I know what’s important to them.

That does not mean that they cannot have a good reporters and reporting. That happens much less often. Far less often than it used to even. But you only trust reporters. And those who have earned it. The outlets that they belong to are superficial.

Rupert media is using the outfits former credibility to launder batshit opinion and twisted facts to push an agenda as much as any place else these days. Even if I tend to agree with things they publish that I see. You never trust a capitalist. Well to do anything other than enrich themselves that is.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

The IBA says this was not a testosterone test, which means it’s referring to a genetic test.

At no point has the IBA said it was a genetic test, nor has it shared the results of any test.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

The Snopes article conflates the unfounded claims that these athletes are transgender with the more serious claims that their testosterone levels are outside the standard female range, and then dismisses the latter based on evidence against the former. Your article does a much better job at distinguishing these claims and addresses each one thoughtfully and in detail.

The sort of zero-information Twitter posters making this a “woke” issue one way or the other should be ignored. With that said, I think its valid to criticize the IOC for the lack of standards and testing which would exclude athletes with masculine levels of testosterone from women’s competitions. I also think that the IBA’s accusations are currently unsupported by any publicly-available evidence; respect for the athletes’ medical privacy would justify this in a normal situation, but the IBA is both untrustworthy and motivated to cause specifically this sort of controversy.

The athletes caught in the middle may actually be biologically typical women, in which case the entire controversy is moot. I wonder if they will volunteer to be tested by some reliable third party in order to settle this issue. They aren’t obligated to, but I admit that if they don’t then I will be suspicious about their motives.

• MotoAsh@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

They already have been “tested” and passed.

Interesting how you want to draw a hard line around something with extremely fuzzy borders, almost like you want to control the world instead of understand it…

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              1 month ago

Are you saying that the IOC tested the testosterone levels of these athletes? That’s not something I have read anywhere else. Do you have a link?

The hard line is between athletes who are allowed to compete in the women’s games and athletes who aren’t. There’s no possibility of fuzziness there.

• MotoAsh@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

“… no possibility of fuzziness there.”

… and yet you ask ME to provide the proof. Just move along bigot. At least if you value your life.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 month ago

You did say

She is, however, chromosomally male (DSD)

which I think is not a conclusion that can be confidently reached given the available evidence.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

This is a summary of my take on the controversy surrounding Olympic boxing. If any facts are wrong, please help me correct them. Sorry for the long thread.

And then that’s it. There’s no additional information.

• barooboodoo (he/him)@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

What the heck? Why would they do something like that? Banning a person for blatantly lying about a subject they know nothing about in the first place? That’s so weird!

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago
          • I never said a lie

• I know te subject as much as anyone here

The problem is that some subjects are tabu here and they should not even be mentioned, let alone discussed. Its ironic and quite idiotic considering what extreme views you can find on the same lemmy communities.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago
            • Yes, you did.

• No, you don’t.

Yeah it’s so taboo, look how little discussion is going on here. Although I guess it might seem like that when you ignore all the comments disproving your misinformation.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago
              • nope

• yes I most certainly do. But you on the other hand are way out of your depth

What are you even taking about? Now you are just pulling stuff out of your dumb ass. Nobody is proving or disproving anything here. Just a lot of hysteria and insults.

Pointless. I will leave you to your warm and cozy bubble where any challenge is met with vitriol and vomit. Bye.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

Cool thanks. Have fun continuing not to watch or support women’s combat sports and deciding you get to have terrible opinions about subjects you’re completely uninformed on!

• UncleArthur@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

It’s weird. I’m left-wing but am being accused of being right-wing because I believe men should not compete in women’s sports.

Two hundred years ago, a woman was someone’s property. Now, apparently, it’s just a feeling, or something that is defined by a passport rather than chromosomes. Women are losing their rights to men who are taking over every aspect of their sex and it makes me angry.

• Eldritch@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

You’re being down voted because you’re asserting something maliciously as fact that there’s no actual evidence of.

• dexa_scantron@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

No, instead someone’s gender should be determined by randos on the internet who believe lies spread by corrupt Russian boxing officials. As God intended. /s

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

Or you should? Wtf are you taking about.

Relax. Not everything you don’t like is a corrupt Russian trying to hurt your feelings.

• Unruffled [he/him]@lemmy.dbzer0.comOPM
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

That’s the whole point. A person’s gender shouldn’t be up to you to decide, for @[email protected] to decide, or for some corrupt boxing organization located in a country known for it’s anti-lgbtq+ stance to decide.

We can only go by the facts in this case. The only fact that matters here is that Imane Khelif says she is a woman. The IBA has produced no facts to the contrary, only unsubstantiated claims, and they are not a trustworthy source.

Even if she does have some chromosomal difference, and we have no idea if that is true, that is not something that would matter in the Olympics, because it’s not against their rules. So, it’s really a moot point anyway.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

But I’m not trying to decide it. I never had. I think she should be able to compete. She was competing before, the other competitors were not against it.

What I’m saying is that women sports have this issue because conditions do arise in body development. I’m not saying imame has it (all though all the circumstantial evidence first point to it, but that’s beside the point).

But whenever I mention this and I get attacked. There looks like there is no room for discussion here. It’s either a ban, or people start to rain on with person insults and strawmen. I find it really interesting. Usually in these situations there’s is a lot of room for people to grow. I’m trying to see if anyone will be able to calm down enough first.

• takeda@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

You started a tirade against someone without any evidence available yet.

IBA claimed that she was ineligible due to some unspecified test they did. Perhaps they will disclose tomorrow.

Everything points out that this ban was political to protect a Russian boxer who lost to her. Khelif fought for many years she also lost 9 times to other women, but just that one time when she fought to Russian boxer she got disqualified by organization that itself got disqualified for corruption and ties with Kremlin.

• drkt@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Why can’t you just own up to the fact that you hate this person for no rational reason?

First she was trans and when that didn’t work it was hormones and when that didn’t work it was testosterone and when that didn’t work it was chromosomes and now that this isn’t working I’m genuinely curious what rabbit you’ll pull out of your hat this time.